Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago: Emabassy Suites or Holiday Inn City Centre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:44 PM
erin

I did a search here and am still confused. Which of these two hotels has a better location to the attractions? Both are similar in price for our travel days. Or are there other hotels you would recommend?

This is for a little getaway for hubby and me. Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:50 PM
mary

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. We take the train there a couple times a year. We love to stay at The Executive Plaza on Wacker Drive and Michigan Ave. It is on the river with wonderful views and a great location. We walked all up and down Michigan Ave., down to Marshall Fields on State St. Took an inexpensive cab out to the Navy Pier. You can catch the bus at the corner to go to many of the museums. It is a great hotel at a great location. Have a great time, would love to hear about your trip when you return.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Frank

Location is pretty much a wash...they're both very close to all the N. Michigan Ave sites.
The ES is like msot other ES's I've stayed at with front 'living room', back bedroom, bath in between with small kitchen. Buffet breakfast included, etc.
I haven't stayed at the HI.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Jim Rosenberg

erin, great idea for a little getaway! The Holiday Inn City Centre is in a superb location. Here's one that is a little more unique that is equally convenient to the Magnificent Mile:

http://www.monaco-chicago.com/

You can get a good rate by going to book it on: www.quickbook.com -- but check out the hotel's website so you know if it's your style. Personally, I thought it was a great place for the $129 quikbook rate.

You might also want to take a hard look at the Inter-Continental, which is actually on Michigan Avenue and offers a great rate on quickbook.

If you happen to stick with the Holiday Inn City Centre (or even if you don't), there is a great restaurant right on Ohio Street that I think you would love:

http://www.emiliostapas.com/solynieve/restaurant.htm

It's a wonderful place to enjoy a long, lingering meal of many courses that are wonderfully prepared and presented, yet not an austentatious atmosphere at all.

Happy contrails!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Ostentatious even! My kingdom for an edit function!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:52 AM
erin

Thank you! Any other thoughts or ideas?

How is the Sheraton, in terms of location, sight seeing etc.?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Hallie

We just got back from a quick weekend in Chicago and stayed at The Palmer House Hilton on Monroe & Dearborn. I always stay there because it's a block from the lake, right on the Blue Line ($1.50 to O'Hare and no traffic!), you can also catch the brown or red lines anywhere, you're a few blocks from the Sears Tower and a short walk to the shops on Michigan Ave. Best of all, we got an unbelievable rate of $109 per night. The rooms are on the small side and for that rate you're going to be overlooking the wing next to you, but the building is really lovely.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 02:35 PM
topper

to the top