Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago: Hotel Burnham or Hampton Inn Majestic?

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, teenage son and I will be visiting Chicago the second week of April. I have found availability at the Hotel Burnham and the Hampton Inn Majestic and am wondering which Chicago insiders would recommend. The Hampton Inn Majestic includes breakfast and is $35/night cheaper than the Burnham. Should I look at any other hotels? We will be sight-seeing, perhaps attending a Cubs game, visiting museums, etc. Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM

I have not stayed at Hampton Inn but Burnham is one of my favourite hotels ever.Love the historic art nouveau building, the service and the location.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:26 AM

I am not sure about the Hampton Inn "majestic" either - what is it's location?

The Hotel Burnham is a favorite - great location, great restaurant - right around the corner from everything in the LOOP. You still have to walk across the river to get to Michigan Ave and all the shopping.

Try to get tix to a theater and be sure you visit Garretts popcorn, which no longer has a Michigan Ave. location.

Be sure to visit the Macy's which is practically next door - the building inside is beautiful and it is one of the best Macy's in the country IMHO.

You are also within walking distance of Millineum Park and "the bean", Navy Pier and the lake front.

One of my favorite places to eat there is a little Russian restaurant - authentic European menu. If you are interested I'll find the name for you.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM

We didn't stay there, but poked our heads (and bodies!) into the lobby and stairway at the Burnham and it is beautiful. Also, the staff at the front desk was very very nice -- they printed our boarding pass for us even though we weren't staying there!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

The Hampton Inn Majestic seems to be above the Bank of America theatre on W. Monroe. I found this hotel on tripadvisor (it gets good ratings) but I think it may be more of a budget hotel compared with the Burnham. Does anyone have opinions about the Blackstone or Monaco? Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco ( a Kimpton hotel) - we loved the decor, free drinks at happy hour...the location...and views from the windows...overlooking the river........just a wonderful, reasonable hotel....would love to go back !!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM

The Hampton may be a little more basic than the Burnham, but it's still a good property. It's only been open about a year or so in what used to be the office building above the theatre.

The Blackstone is a few blocks farther from things as it's on South Michigan Ave.

You should have no problem at any of the hotels mentioned. I'd go with the place with the best rate.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
fj

Check Priceline for a good price on the Hotel Burnham. I and an employee and his wife stayed in 2 rooms that I got thru Priceline for $106/night in October. I had a nice King Bed room and they gave my employee and his wife a corner suite. One of the reasons the rooms may have been so inexpensive is that a building across the street was being renovated and we could see the building from the rooms, but it did not bother us one bit. The restaurant was outstanding. Do you know how to get multiple bids on Priceline?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hi there! We also used Priceline for Hotel Burnham for a girls weekend in September and loved everything about the Hotel Burnham. Fabulous Hotel!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to report back that we ended up staying at the Hampton Inn Majestic as we got a great rate there. I would definitely recommend the hotel. The room was nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. The hotel is a refurbished office building located above a theatre so you need to take an elevator to reach the lobby (helpful doormen/security direct guests.) The lobby is not deluxe but it is certainly adequate and is where breakfast is served each morning.

We loved the location of the hotel -- right near subway and bus stops and walking distance to most of the sights we wished to visit. The best thing about the hotel was the staff -- all were so friendly and helpful. I feel like this hotel is almost a hidden "secret" and hope to return someday.