Search

Chicago Architectural River Tour Through Viator or the CA Fourndation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Architectural River Tour Through Viator or the CA Fourndation

Will be in Chicago and want to take the Chicago Architectural River Tour and was wondering if anyone has experience with either Viator tours or the Chicago Architectural foundation tour? Viator tours offers a less expensive tour for the same amount of time and with great reviews. But would going through the foundation offer a better learning experience? And which boats are more comfortable?
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 01:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The Chicago Architectural Foundation is the best, a not for profit organizarion that studies and shares the city's historic and modern architecture with the public. Now lots of copy cat arxhectural boat tours are popping up. I can't recommend your gping on any other boat tour. The CAF docents are excellent narrators and I learn something new each time I take the CAF boat.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 01:27 PM

CAF is definitely the gold standard and that's what I always recommend to friends and visitors. However, if someone isn't interested at all in architecture or historical accuracy and are operating on a tight budget where saving a few dollars might help, then going with a cheaper operator would probably be just fine.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 01:38 PM

Just be aware you're not choosing the boat for "comfort". You can google images of both.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 02:20 PM

Be aware that Viator does not run any tours. They just re-sell other companies tours (and make a profit at it). They might even put you on the CAF tour. But I'd book directly with CAF.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 04:20 PM
moo
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate your replies. We tried to go a few years ago to go but needed 4 tickets and the CAF only had 3 available. So I will try them again. That was my gut feeling but thought I would put it out there in case I was missing something. I've heard the docents are excellent.