Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Architectural Boat Tours in Chicago (Which one's the best?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:42 AM
Visiting Chicago

I've done some research about the architectural boat tours in Chicago and wanted some advice. Sounds like the top three are Shoreline ($17), Chicago on the Lake ($23), and the Chicago Architectural Boat Tour Company ($21).

Are there any major differences? Is the quality of service and knowledge on one better than the other. If you have any personal experience or have heard feedback from friends, please share. Regards.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:53 AM
elizabeth

My husband, 17 year old goddaughter and I recently took the Mercury Cruises - we had set out for the Architectural boat tour but it was full. Mercury leaves right next to the Architectural tour. The main differences were the Mercury tour does the lake and river; it was less expensive ($15-$16 - somewhere around that) and the boat is smaller (with less cover in the event of rain). We really enjoyed it and would recommend it. Here's an interesting site that compares boat cruises (although it doesn't seem to have the Architectural boat cruise?)

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/boat_tours

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Teddy

I've done almost all of the different boat tours in Chicago. They are all a fun way to spend a few hours. If you are primarily interested in architecture, the tour sponsored by the Chicago Architectural Society is the best - their guides are very knowledgable, and they give you the most information. This tour, however, does not go out onto the lake, and most other tours do. If you just want to ride in a boat and learn some things about architecture (but not as much as on the Chicago Architectural boat tour), these tours are fine. It can be nice to go out onto the lake (especially on a hot day) and view the skyline.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
kayd

I really wanted to take the Arcitecture Society tour but my schedule did not fit theirs, so I took a river and lake tour with Shoreline that was just fine, with plenty of architecture commentary and the beautiful view of the skyline. If you opt for this tour, consider taking it the hour before sunset for an especially lovely view of the skyline from the lake.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
oh well

From a local who's never gotten around to taking one, heard great things about the architectural boat tours. The others on the lake are wonderful for the view of the skyline, just depends on if you're up for a view or a little architectural history.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:48 AM
Maggi

We took the advice of readers of this forum who recommended the Architectural River Cruise. We were fortunate to have a great lecturer, Karen Ambrose, who made the history of the city and it's builders come alive to us. My attention never flagged during this 1-1/2 hour cruise. It was fascinating. They are scheduled a month in advance, so you can request her tour if you like. We did have a little trouble finding the right location. Originally I thought we were supposed to board at Navy Pier and had a hectic cab ride to the southeast corner of Wacker and Michigan. You look at the city quite differently after this experience. When you are almost back at the pier, on the left you will see a little outdoor bistro called Cyranos, you can walk to it from the boat dock. Just stay on the lower level and walk back along the river. French music and bistro fare - on a nice day, you can't go wrong with ending your cruise this way.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Boater

Make sure you know the difference between tours actually run by the Chic. Architectural Society and those just piggy-backing on their success.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Andrew (Visiting Chicago)

I wanted to thank all of you for your insight on my question re: Chicago's architectural boat tours. Your feedback was extremely valuable... based on the suggestions, I think we'll try to catch the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour. Have a great 4th of July holiday!