Chicago Air & Water Show

Search

Chicago Air & Water Show

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Air & Water Show

We booked a Saturday night hotel stay for our first Air & Water show. Website doesn't give much information other than to say 2 million people see the show. Yikes.

Can you view it all along the lakefront, say as far as Grant Park? How about north, up by Loyola? It looks like North Beach is the prime area, so probably want to avoid that. Is it body-to-body packed?

And what is a water show? I figure the air show is Blue Angels and screaming F16s. Any information from those 2 million who have been there would be helpful.

We thought it sounded cool-and can all those people be wrong?
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:01 AM

We've always watched the Air & Water show from either North Ave. Beach or from the water. It's crowded but it's not so packed that you feel like people are sitting on top of you. We bring a blanket and some snacks and have plenty of space to watch, just no shade.

We usually ride our bikes up from 31st St. so we see part of the show as we are coming up, the planes are really doing the show for the North Ave. beach area and that is the best viewing. Bring a radio so you know what you are seeing if you are not planning on going to North Ave., you can hear the commentary there but not if you are away from the center.

I've never had any interest in the water part, if you want to see that you have to be at North Ave. as I think it's search and rescue and other things that you need to be close by to see.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Found this description from 2004, but its about the same every year:

http://www.digitalcity.com/chicago/e...p?evid=1573500

Can't give you much info on where the best place is to watch because we always go to Navy Pier, and you can't really see the show from there, but those loud jets go right overhead!

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I did research and never saw anything about bringing a radio until now. Thanks! Guess it's off to North beach we'll go.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM

If you do go to North Ave. beach, I believe you can hear the live broadcast but I might be confusing it with the Gary Air Show where I know you can hear the broadcast from the beach. I'll ask my BIL who is the air show expert and let you know.

The CTA website had instructions on the best way to get there using public transportation last year, a couple of weeks out you might check there for their recommendations. You obviously do not want to drive.

North Ave. beach is not too far from downtown so if you are staying at one of the NMA hotels you can probably just walk.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM

My BIL said that they do broadcast at North Avenue beach so you don't need to bring a radio along if you are watching from there.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Another great option is from the terrace of the "W" hotel. It is usually booked by groups, but you should call them and check. Both North beach and Oak street beach will be fine.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Kal

Bring ear plugs if you get close because the T'birds or Blue Angels are LOUD when they buzz you.

They knocked a SF Giant pitcher off the mound during a game we watched at Wrigley a few years ago. They buzz Wrigley a few times. Awesome.

Then they flew up the first part of the Chicago River when we were coming out of House of Blues. Unbelievable!>-
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:14 PM

For those who come into Chicago the Friday before the Air & Water Show:

Some of the acts, including the Blue Angels, practice maneuvers the Friday afternoon before the A&W Show, usually about 1:30-3:00 pm in the afternoon. If you are in the Sears Tower or the John Hancock Building at the time they are practicing, you will get a good clear birds-eye view of them.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Exiledprincess, I am sorry I will miss that!
Thanks, everyone. I am looking forward to another fine Chicago adventure.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Agree with princess - I work on the 54th floor across from the Sears Tower and always waste a lot of time that afternoon looking out the window!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM

I live in the suburbs and have always wanted to go but the numbers keep me away. I did experience it once at a Sox game as some of the juts made their turns there.

Gives ya goosebumps! One of these years I will suck it up and brave the crowds.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM

The air and water show is great, the best place to watch it is from a boat though. The Boys and Girls club has a cruise on Sunday that gets you right out underneath actions. If interested call them at (773) 348-1866 and ask for Jim Pottinger
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:42 PM

topping

Hotel options for the show?
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Faye - Anything in the Michigan Avenue, Loop, River North or Lincoln Park areas would be fine. Some are close enough to walk while others would require using a bus or el, but they're all fine.

If you want more specific recommendations, please provide your specific needs (who and how many, budget, where you'd prefer to be, what else you're doing in town, what you require a hotel have amenity-wise, etc.).
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM

exiled princess -

the day-before practice is a great way to see the action without the crowds! I have to add another viewing site to your list - the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier. Almost too close for comfort!
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Wow-this thread lives again!

I had a good time at the Air Show.
The person next to us in Borders on Sunday morning heard me talking about going to see the planes and offered me a free ticket to go to the top of the Hancock Building. It was a great place to see the planes-and hear to radio announcer in the corner.

My daughter & I stayed at the Palmer House which we got on Priceline. We enjoy walking so it was fine.