Reload this Page >

Chicago, Aida or The Lion King?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 08:57 PM
Brian

I am having a hard time deciding which play to see for a future trip to NYC next year. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 11:48 PM
Pamela

See the Lion King. It kicks ass. you'll be blown away with the beauty.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 05:15 AM
howard

I'm sure there'll be a lot of votes for "The Lion King." But, for us, it's "Chicago."
Your choice obviously should depend on what you are looking for!

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Parrot Mom

Have seen Chicago and Lion King...Lion King may not have you singing as you leave, but the spectacle of it all is wonderous, whether your a child or an adult. Even if it travels Lion King may never have the cast it does in New York and without giving it away after more than 45 years of theatre...the sights and special effects blew me away..I can see it now as I write this...

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Anna

Have not seen Chicago, but would definitely recommend the Lion King!! Aida is very good, but the Lion King is absolutely amazing!!!

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 09:05 AM
howard

Another recommendation: The Full Monty.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Lori

We saw Lion King in London and were not blown away by this show - we may be unique but frankly I have seen lots better. The cast was fine, we had front row seats, costumes great but something was lacking, it just did not appeal to us. If Mamma Mia has opened in NY by the time you go try and see it, saw that in London and adored it. Chicago is fun also, but Mamma Mia beats them all for pure fun.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 07:18 PM
Sabrina

A lot of this will depend on availability, Brian. On an October trip to New York, I had the easiest time getting a ticket for Aida (Sunday matinee) and it was AMAZING. Heather Headley truly earned her Tony award. I've seen Chicago several times (I love it like some folks love Rent) and Lion King was out of the question unless I greased the concierge. So I opted for a great, affordable orchestra seat for Aida. Again, totally worth the money and far more accessible than the Lion King.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Kate

Contact is wonderful - just thought I'd throw in another option. I also thought that Fosse was thoroughly enjoyable. Chicago was also a great play. You can't go wrong with your choices.

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Ellen

Okay. I've seen them all. More than once. Lion King - has all the right elements--fancy costumes, elaborate sets, familiar music, dancing, good story, etc. The theater alone is a show in and of itself. Go early to check it out. Aida - wonderful. Costumes are beautiful, music is wonderful, story is a classic. Neither of the above is a bad choice. As for Chicago - one of my all time favorites & have seen it 3 times, BUT, if you only get to see one show a year, go for something that gives you all of the above elements. The music in Chicago can't be rivaled, but there are no costumes, no elaborate sets, and no flashy dance numbers. Others to consider are Full Monty (a little naughty but tons of fun. I laughed until I cried. Totally different from the movie). Contact is superb, and it will give you a chance to wander Lincoln Center at night (beautiful with the lights). I recommend Contact over Fosse. Fosse is straight dance, Contact is little vignettes. Also, this spring, THE PRODUCERS, with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick opens, and should run for quite some time. Not a music, but one of the funniest shows ever written & an experienced cast. Nathan Lane is the best.

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 05:05 PM
hcw

On the same note -- is 'Dirty Blonde' running again? We saw it last spring, and then it closed, but I'm seeing it mentioned again. I know that Kevin Chamberlain is in 'Seussical' -- he was superb in Dirty Blonde. Thanks . . .

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 08:19 PM
howard

A correction on Ellen's otherwise excellent posting: "The Producers" will indeed be a musical when it comes to Broadway this spring.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:13 AM
NYC_#1

It depends on your taste. I saw Lion King two years ago in NYC and it absolutely blew me away. If you have any creative blood in your body you can't help but walk away from this show with a smile and a sense of awe that will last for weeks. On the other hand I don't believe I've seen any "Broadway" qaulity productions that haven't left me breathless. Thank God for the arts!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Ellen

Howard - thanks for the correction. I should proof read. I meant to say that the music in the Producers may not be familiar to most people. Dirty Blonde was great. Small production, but big on talent. By the way folks, don't overlook the City and Metropolitan Operas. If you aren't a fan going in, you will be one coming out. The tickets are sometimes easier to get than the Broadway shows, and the venues are terrific. Don't worry about not understanding the language, etc. There are teleprompters in both Opera houses. Costumes and set design are usually terrific, and the vocals should send shivers up your spine!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 09:41 AM
AC

Hi Brian:
Another vote for Chicago. I saw Sandy Duncan in it and she was terrific. I am not sure who will be the lead but you will not be disappointed.
Welcome to NYC.