Search

Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:10 PM
katie

Chicago

My husband and I are going to spend a long weekend in Chicago in October we were hoping someone could suggest a hotel around shops and restaurants within close walking distance.Our price range is 200 to 250 a night.A friend heard about the new Le Meridien.Anybody?Your help will be useful. Thanks, Katie

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:04 PM
mclean

katie check out patgs response under the title "chicago hotels".this thread has the info you seek

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Laurie

I live in chicago. When we stay downtown for "getaway" we like the Knickerbocker. It's on the corner of Oak and Michigan (across from the Drake) in the heart of the magnificient mile (shopping, sightseeing, etc). If you want to splurge ( I think it's more expensive than $250) the new Park Hyatt just opened on Michigan and it's unbelievable. My brother works for Hyatt and when taking the tour of rooms, it's a jaw dropper!!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Donna

Any hotel on North Michigan Ave. would be your best bet.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Lawrence

The Omni on N. Michigan Avenue might be as low as $250. Check and see. All suites. Relatively new. Smack in the middle of the shopping area and in fact on top of a shopping mall. It's where Oprah put her TV guests when in town. I stayed there a few years ago and thought it a pretty good deal. Hope it's still in good shape.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Gary

Last I checked the Park Hyatt a standard room was over $400.
The brand new Peninsula is the hotel with the most promise. Right off North Michigan. "Cheap" rates until September 30 of about #315.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:37 PM
s.fowler

I've stayed at the new Le Meridien, the Omni and Swisshotel. [We live neaby and do weekends a couple of times a year.]

I got an introductory rate at Le M. -- you *might* get a weekend rate in your range. It's right on top of Nordstroms

The Omni should be in your price range -- we liked it just fine. And it is right in the middle of things.

My fave is Swissotel -- weekend rates well within your limit -- it's at the bottom of the "mag mile", but you start by crossing the river and looking at the Wrigley and Tribune buildings. Not too shabby

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:15 AM
porter

Omni Chicago or Sutton Place?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:21 PM
bosie

katie,
stay out of the loop unless you are going for biz.of the hotels mentioned the park hyatt is nice but not as first rate as the four seasons.both are over $400 per night.not sure of the meridien because its new but the omni is o.k but typical chain hotel.the sutton is a stroll but somewhat upscale with cool bar.good luck,b

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:18 PM
katie

sfowler,
Called one of the booking services and got an intro rate of $159.00@ Le Meridien.Sounds great.What did you think of rooms,public spaces,service and location.If you had to choose based on this criteria would you choose Omni Chicago Or Le Meridien.Thanks,Katie

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:25 AM
marta

My sister and I, after careful research, stayed at the Omni 2 summers ago. I had decided on either the Omni or the Drake (I think) and decided on the Omni because we could get 2 double beds there instead of a king. When we got there to check in they said they didn't have a room for us with 2 double beds - I said I had specifically requested a room with 2 beds and their attitude was 'too bad'and told me my guaranteed reservation number only meant that they had a room for us - not what kind of room we would get. I said do I need to get some kind of room type verification number next time I call??!!
We are siblings so we were ok with it but since I had specifically requested it I was a bit upset and even after talking to the manager (who looked 20 and did not have a manager name tag on) it was obvious that they weren't going to do anything about it. Also, when we got back and I told a colleague about it she said the same thing had happened to her at the Omni Cancun in Mexico...
I agree with a previous poster who said the rooms are pretty cramped. Also, no bathrobes were in our room as promised.
Only one good thing about the Omni that I can think of... The martinis in the bar were fabulous!!