Reload this Page >

Camden, Maine area - lodging review requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Maureen

My husband and I are planning about a four night stay in the Camden area during the first or second week of September. I've checked out the following places to stay, they seem nice enough, and was wondering
if anyone could share their experiences with them?
How difficult is it to park when you visit Camden if we stay outside of the town? Thanks!

A Little Dream (Is High Street as noisy as I've heard?)
Inn at Sunrise Point
Norumbega
The Inn at Ocean's Edge Lincolnville
Lawnmeer Inn W. Boothbay Harbor
Samoset Resort
Swift Inn
The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth (This isn't available for my time frame but looks great for future visit)

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Sheila

We stayed at a great inn called Camden Harbour Inn - great location, great porch views - best views were rooms 1-3 w/terrace. High street is noisy and parking on weekends was difficult.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Sara

We were in Camden recently, and were told by a local that there is no public parking in town that is good for more than two hours (during the day). I suppose that you could move your car around every couple of hours, if you could find parking spots. It seems to me that a place within walking distance of town would be more convenient to shopping and dining.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Katie V

We were in Camden last week on a Windjammer Cruise. We actually had to park outside of town in a barn. Even while unloading luggage onto the boat, parking was a nightmare. You will certainly want to check with any B&B you stay in and see if they have off-street parking. Most of the inns we saw by the park had parking lots. Sad to say, but parking may have to determine where you stay.

Camden is beautiful, but the restaurants are crowded after 6:00 p.m. My advice would be to go early and enjoy walking around the shops after dinner. We ate at the Water Front and had a nice meal, but had to eat at the bar or endure an hour and 45 min wait for a table. We arrived at 7:00 p.m.

Enjoy Camden!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Audrey

We stayed at the Blue Harbor House (I think that's the name) B&B and could walk downtown. I thought that the next time in Camden we should try the Norumbega. There was a little restaurant called The Frogwater Cafe (again, I think--it's been since 1997 that we were there), and it was good.
Also, we spent our honeymoon at The Inn By the Sea in Cape Elizabeth and absolutely loved it.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 11:31 PM
joe

I would not recommend the Lawnmeer as an exceptional vacation destination, and Boothbay is an hour or so from Camden. Middle of September is the perfect time to visit Camden and I would daresay that you could just drive the coast without a reservation and come upon several perfectly nice places to spend a night or two. Parking will not be a problem at that time of year, especially weekdays.

The Village Restaurant in downtown Camden serves an exceptionally enjoyable lunch-on-the-water with the seafood plates highly recommmended.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 05:31 AM
elaine

the inn at sunrise point is beautiful. we had a cabin right on the water, but the others were also nice. it's about 4 miles from camden, but parking that time of year wasn't a problem for us. eat at michel's in linconville beach for a nice dinner. we may see you there!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:06 AM
pete

We stayed in Blue Harbor House--the room was very nice and comfortable, but High street is VERY noisy. We drove by the Maine Stay Inn, and it really looked nice, it's set back further from the main road, and within walking distance of the town center. We had a great lunch at the Waterfront restaurant.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:26 AM
michelle/nyc

just returned from Maine... spent one night in Camden at the Inn at Sunrise Point which is just 5 minutes from town. what a perfect spot... it's so peaceful... and close to the water (we were able to listen to the waves all night long). I've stayed at Norumbega years ago, which is very nice (looks like a historic castle)... but I liked Sunrise Point better. in town, have chowder at Cappy's... lots of locals and tourists! if you need any info on Bar Harbor, let me know. we stayed there too.

also, my last trip we took a drive out to Pemaquid Point to see the lighthouse... it was one of my favorite days!! enjoy