COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheap hotels in Key Largo convenient to diving?

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi, looking into a possible July long weekend in Key Largo to do some diving. We want to do it as cheaply as possible, so we'd like to find a cheap but decent accommodations that are convenient to the dive operations in Key Largo. I checked Amoray (combined lodging and diving operation) and Holiday Inn (recommended by a friend), and so far I'm finding around $150+ per night. That's do-able, but just wondering if that's the going rate, or could I do quite a bit better? We'll be spending most of our time out of the hotel, so really just looking for a place to sleep. All suggestions welcomed!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Check out my new travel blog, STRICKLANDIA
Travel tips, news, deals, stories and more
www.stricklandia.com - updated daily!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:17 AM

try priceline for this...we got the Sheraton Key Largo,two years ago for cheap,really nice.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Amy Slates Dive Motel is probably your best bet. http://www.amoray.com/

There used to be a cluster of small, mom-and-pop motels in that area. However, a few years ago, someone came along and bought them, with the idea of a making a larger development. It apparently didn't work out, and there was supposed to be a bankruptcy sale of the property in February (never heard the outcome.)

What that did is remove a lot of cheap rental beds in the area. And allowed those who are left to raise their rates accordingly.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:02 AM

bookhall: Now the hotel prices in Key Largo make sense. We used to stay at the Suites at Key Largo, but their prices went way too high for what they offer - now it seems every place is pretty steep.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Sorry--I see you already checked Amoray. Suspect that's gonna be your best bet.

There's about 4 miles between Amoray and the Holiday Inn (which is about the center of Key Largo, such as it is.)

You might also check with the Kay Largo Welcome Center--those folks can be quite helpful. www.floridakeys.org