Charlotte (Center City area) accomodations

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlotte (Center City area) accomodations

Hi! my husband and I are going to Charlotte in early September. I booked the LaQuinta Inn and Suites Colleseum area and was wondering if this is a nice, safe place to stay? The hotel as well as the area. We are fine with LaQuintas usually and don't require a real fancy place to stay, but I do want it ot be comfortable as well as located in a pretty safe area that's not crazy busy. I also don't want it to be crazy-loud with streets/highways right up next to the hotel that we have to listen to all night.
Will this hotel be located in a good area? Is there a different area that isn't too far from dining, entertainment, etc that we should consider? We are usually happy with LaQuintas, Hampton Inns, and others in about that price range.

Thank you!
Christy
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:16 AM

It is a fine safe place to stay but you are basically adjacent to a business park w/little or no amenities (& you are no where near the city center). I would encourage you to look in the Uptown area where you will be w/in easy walking distance of nearly everything.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM

I agree - a very boring area to stay in. There's a well-located Courtyard by Marriott right downtown or a Hampton Inn just off center right between the heart of downtown and South End. There is an interstate close to the Hampton Inn (though it's not very busy). Other good options downtown are the Hilton City Center, the Omni or the Marriott. The Westin is very nice, but slightly further from the center. Each may have good weekend rates.

You could also stay, perhaps for less $$, down in the SouthPark area. What is the purpose of your trip?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:24 AM

I agree w/ the previous two posters - Coliseum area is not a good place to stay if you want to experience the Charlotte Center City. Also agree on the Hilton Garden Inn, next to to the Hampton Inn on 2nd Street. Holiday Inn on College Street may be an option as well. It is right in the middle of the entertainment district, so take that into account if possible bar noise is a factor.

Also, if you're coming on a weekend, you'll want to check the Carolina Panthers home schedule because if there is a home game that weekend, rooms at a decent rate may be tough to come by, if available.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I also noticed that the colluseum area has train tracks going through it. I don't know if they are used much, but I wouldn't want a train going through too often. lol So, I'm glad I asked.

So, the center City uptown area or just south are the best places to stay, huh.

We are here for our 7th anniversary. Our main purpose of the trip is we are driving to Asheville to stay in the mountains and then wanted to spend 2 nights in Charlotte to just see the town, go to Carowinds, etc. Nothing fancy.

Thanks for all your advice!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 01:40 AM

All good advice. Stay downtown. You might even see what is happening on Priceline for a 4*, but all the downtown hotels are in good shape and many brand new.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Just got back from uptown Charlotte. Stayed at Marriott Courtyard and it was great. Also Holiday Inn is good. About $80 a night. For train tracks, not sure about that but please insure you are looking at right colleseum. There are 2. One out in the boonies which you are talking and the other is the one being built uptown. Parking is about $10 a night. Those costs were for weekend rates. May be more for during the week stay
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:44 AM

The Colisseum she was talking about is probably the third one actually--out Independence Blvd in a very iffy corridor.
The train tracks going through the Convention Center (not a "coliseum") is the trolley. I'm not sure what she was talking about them. There are also probably some out at the Coliseum (Cricket Arena). Not a big factor, methinks, but uptown is better.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM

If you're referring to the new uptown basketball arena, those are the same trolley tracks that Gretchen refers to as running through the convention center, and I wouldn't worry about them. The carry an old style trolley, which does not generate much noise. In fact, you should take it for a trip to Southend.