Charlotte Advice Needed

Search

Charlotte Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlotte Advice Needed

Hi, My husband and I live in Durham and just found out that my husband's parents can take our 2 year old overnight tomorrow.

We've decided to head to Charlotte for a brief getaway.

I know nothing about Charlotte - any suggestions on where to stay? Looking for either a boutique hotel or perhaps a B&B. Would like to stay in the middle of things, but not sure how active a city Charlotte is? We'll have a car so driving won't be an issue. Guess we'd like to stay in a pedestrian part of town, if there is one.

Also looking for great restaurant recommendations. We love good food - any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM
GoTravel

The Park Hotel is my favorite and it is at South Park very near to Uptown Charlotte.

Also, Uptown Charlotte would be a great place to stay.

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM

The closest thing I can thinkof would be the Dunhill Uptown. Monticello (in the hotel) is also good though I've not eaten there since they changed chefs. Try www.chralotte.com for events & such. Restaurants - Italian - Luce, Seafood - LaVecchias, Trendy - Blue (all of these are Uptown w/in walking distance) I believe the Checkers (hockey) are in town this weekend + there is a huge HS football game near Uptown Saturday evening @ Memorial Stadium.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM

I'd recommend uptown. Lots of good hotels options, but the Dunhill is the only one that really matches your critera. Boutique hotel right in the middle of things (as central as you can get). Lots of bars/restaurants in easy walking distance. Uptown is quite active on weekends. The Westin is another good high-end option, but is a bit too far off center for me. If I couldn't get into the Dunhill, I'd try the Marriott, Omni or Hilton City Center.

Search this site for restaurant recs, but I like Blue and Zink uptown (though there are lots of other choices). You'll want a reservation for Blue.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Very speedy!

I was thinking of the Dunhill, but the reviews on TripAdvisor were very mixed.

I'll look into the Park Hotel.

What about the Duke Mansion?
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM

I don't think the Duke Mansion rents rooms if that's what you mean. I think it's only available for private functions.

The Park Hotel is in the Southpark business district, 10-20 minutes from uptown. It's be like staying at Crabtree Valley Mall (though it is a nicer surrounding area). Uptown is where you want to be unless you want to spend a lot of time in the mall.

Take TripAdvisor rants with a grain of salt - as I think GoTravel has said, it seems to be an outlet for professional whiners. I've never had anyone say anything bad about the Dunhill (business or leisure travelers).

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM

Though I've not stayed in the Dunhill recently I do frequent their restaurant & bar area from time to time. As mentioned on a prior thread, I (personally) give little value to the disgruntled whining & ramblings on TA. If we're talking about an over-nighter, you'll want to be Uptown. If you're not comfortable (due to TA), there are a ton of chains there...The Duke place & Vanlandingham Estate both cater to private functions only, to the best of my knowledge.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM

See the "Do you mention TA @ check-in" thread.