Charleston, SC hotel -- help decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide between the Charleston Place Hotel (Club Level Room) and the Market Pavilion Hotel (Corner King Jr. Suite on 3rd floor). Can you help?
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
GoTravel

I haven't stayed at the Market Pavillion Club level but can tell you that Charleston Place Club level isn't that big a deal.

In all honesty, it has been years but I don't remember it being that great.

I'd go for the Market Pavillion.

The location of both are excellent.

The biggest drawback of the Charleston Place is the sheer number of people in the lobby at all times because the lobby is in between major shopping. The Main level of the hotel houses 20 or so major retailers (White House/Black Market, Brookstone, Gucci, Godiva, Cache, The Limited etc) and thats sort of a deal breaker for me.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I read somewhere that Charleston Place is showing its age. Do you know that to be true?

The room at Market Pavilion would be on the 3rd floor ("corner king junior suite") with a view of either Market or East Bay Street. Is that good?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:39 AM

While I haven't stayed at the Market Pavilion Hotel, I have had a drink or two at the rooftop bar. I seem to remember a firehouse on East Bay across the street from the intersection with Market Street. Just be aware that this location may not be the quietest spot with early morning activity in the market area and the firehouse within sight and sound of your hotel suite.....
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM
GoTravel

retired, since the Charleston Place Hotel is a stone's throw away, any sounds you can hear at the MP you'll be able to hear at CP. Also, CP has heavy pedistrian traffic through the lobby.

Noussa, I don't the the CP is showing its age at all. It is constantly kept up and rooms are always being taken in and out of inventory for updating so the hotel doesn't show its age.

As far as the view from the MP, either view would be fine but I'd probably opt for the view of East Bay Street. You should probably also be able to see the water.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Hey, GoTravel, don't shoot the messenger! I was careful not to state a preference for either facility, but rather I just reported a drawback (IMHO) such as you did when you twice mentioned the number of people in the lobby of the other establishment.

Noussa, the Charleston Place Hotel is located on Meeting Street which is two blocks farther away from the river and runs parallel to East Bay Street
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM
GoTravel

I'm not shooting the messenger! Just stating for the OP to avoid the confusion that the distances between the two hotels is negligible so if one is loud the other one will be also.

I'm sorry if I came across badly!

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to add, yes, please state which one you prefer! Everyone's opinion is important!

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM

I love staying on the Club Level and usually try to do so whenever I travel. I thought the club level at Charleston Place was very nice, albeit not as "gourmet" as some of the Ritz-Carltons. For us, as wine drinkers, having wine available all day long and food too was great!!