Charleston/Savannah help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was supposed to be going to California in two weeks, but that fell apart, so now I'm going to Charleston and Savannah and am scrambling to make plans. Specifically, I need advice on what hotel areas are safe for solo female travelers. I have a tight budget, about $100/ night. I will have a car, so I don't mind a short drive to the sights if it means I can get safe and affordable lodging. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:47 AM

From College Station ? We are going in October...I would look for a place in the historical district in Savannah and take some kind of architectural tour of homes or maybe a walking tour by Dirk of Savannah Rambles. As for Charleston we are staying at Grand Boehemian a new hotel but it is $200 a night , just off of King Street which is central to many places of interest. What are your food preferences because that will help with food suggestions.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 06:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
In Savannah you want to stay in the historic district. It will be tough to meet your $100 budget though. Two options are the Thunderbird Inn (with free parking) and the Best Western Plus on Bay Street. Another option is to bid on a Hotwire room with 80% satisfaction or higher - but there's a limited supply in the HD. If you can't meet your budget there, stay in Midtown or near the airport. Check TripAdvisor for reviews. I've never stayed at the Oglethorpe Inn in Midtown but they have a loyal return clientele. I like the LaQuinta Inn and Suites in Pooler near the airport.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 01:58 AM

Charleston will never again be cheap. You can look at hotels in Mt. Pleasant or on Savannah Highway for cheaper accommodation but it's likely you won't find anything for $100.

Don't be tempted to stay in cheap hotels in North Charleston. You might not like your neighbors.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 03:04 AM

In Charleston the prices are sometimes cheaper Mon-Thurs. You also might look on Groupon.com or LivingSocial. They have run specials on Charleston hotels in the past (in good parts of town, as Sue advises) and might have one. Also look on hotels.ocm or booking.com. You never know.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 12:36 PM

We were in Charleston and Savannah a few years ago and wrote a trip report; click on my name to find it, if interested.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's replies. Michael, your report was great, with lots of helpful details. I'm making a note to come back and read some of your other reports.