Charleston or Savannah?

Old Feb 13th, 2021, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston or Savannah?

My husband and I want to get away for a few days in late April. We are considering Charleston or Savannah. Distance doesn't matter, because we live in South Carolina. We are retired and on a budget, so we're looking for things to do that won't cost a lot ( history, gardens, tours). We are also needing recommendations for a hotel around $100-$120 a night. Which city would you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 05:46 AM

I always say charleston. You can stroll the historic district. Here's a link to things that are happening. You can stay for your budget outside the historic district but then you'll pay for parking perhaps. If you go during the week instead of a weekend you may save money on lodging.
https://travelerofcharleston.com/apr...charleston-sc/
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 08:43 AM

Either one will do, but the hotel in Savannah was within walking distance of the historical center, while the one in Charleston was not. I wrote a trip report which can be found by clicking on my name and scrolling through my trip reports list.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjukECUu
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 09:55 AM

We enjoyed both but found more to do in Charleston. We stayed at the King's Courtyard which was very well located but might be slightly above your budget but I think breakfast was included in their rates.

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 03:22 PM

It may be a bit more to stay in Charleston, but there is so much more to do! I would highly recommend Charleston! Would you consider staying at the Wingate in Mt. Pleasant, or something similar. You could eat at good places there around Shem Creek (we loved Art's, but it is a dive, albeit with great food). It is an easy drive to the beach as well and an easy drive to Charleston. If you are willing do drive a bit to get to downtown then there are several options. Parking garages are very convenient and once in downtown everything is very walkable.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. Looks like Charleston is what we are looking for.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Is it fair to suggest that Savannah is more quirky than Charleston???? Both are fabulous.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

We love quirky!
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 05:08 AM

There is plenty to do in Savannah as well. We loved the historic areas and walking along the river and visiting the shops and restaurants there. You could also visit Tybee Island while there.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
My choice would be Savannah.

That budget is low for both, unless you plan to drive in and out each day.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 08:02 AM

Hi, Glad you're coming to visit. As a Charlestonian native since 1989, I would be biased towards Charleston. Savannah is fun, but it's smaller and doesn't offer as much as far as attractions. Most tourists visit the riverstreet area, and there are great restaurants and lots of pubs. There are many city squares and some cemetery where Union troops were quartered during the civil war. You can see grave markers they defaced that are interesting.
For Charleston, there are many more restaurant options and places of interest. It's great to just spend some time walking the area south of Broad street where there are beautiful historic houses. White point gardens and the battery are great walks as well. The Market is back open and you can find all kinds of local vendors. King street is almost completely back opened and you'll find lots of shops and restaurants. Waterfront park is very nice to walk around as well. You'll find plenty of historic buildings and locations just walking around downtown.
The gardens and plantations along hwy 61 are very beautiful. I prefer Middleton plantation for the manicured grounds, farming area and the house tour. Magnolia and Drayton are next door and are both well worth visiting. Boone Hall on the other side of town is massive and features a long drive lined with iconic live oak trees and a working farm.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

We really don't care if we have to drive into the city, if it helps us keep within our budget. We knew we weren't going to be able to afford to stay in the heart of either city. And we are only in the hotel to sleep, so we don't need anything fancy. We like to pack our days full of stuff to do, leaving after breakfast and getting back in the evening. Both cities are appealing. If we get our stimulus check, we might just do both cities!
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 03:24 AM

Late April in both cities is going to be VERY popular and theefore expensive. You might look on Booking.com right now for what rooms are going for--particularly in Mt. Pleasant as someone suggested. Mt. Pleasant is a nice town on its own os places can be quite nice. We stayed in North Charleston for one night when the eclipse made Charleston ground zero and downtown hotels were OVER the TOP expensive. The hotel was adequate--and cheap. The area is not grea but we were fine.
If you can go during the week and not weekend you will do a little better perhaps.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 06:40 AM

I just checked Hotels.com for April 26-30th, and there are still some great rates. The Francis Marion (right in the heart of walking distance to most places downtown) was $146. The Andrew Pinkney Inn (fantastic) was $169. So there are still some deals. If you do want to drive, the airport area hotels should be cheaper, or you could try Mt Pleasant and West Ashley as others have suggested above. There all relatively short drives to downtown most of the time.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 06:59 AM

DH and I visited both places before I knew about Fodor's so do check info here and in tourist guides. Here's my second time in Savannah (go to Sunday Feb. 6 for that portion:
Driving From Florida to Maryland

Both are so interesting. Please report back about your experiences!
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 05:33 AM

TDudette, I just read your trip report and really enjoyed it.
We were underwhelmed by Lady and Sons as well.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Thanks, schmerl!
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 09:10 AM

Like Charleston, Love Savannah! And if budget is a concern, Charleston is a LOT more expensive than Savannah.