Arches, Capitol Reef and Canyon Lands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip in October. First morning we will leave from a SLC Airport area hotel and drive toward Moab.

First Question. As we head south, is it better to take US 6/US 191 south of Provo toward Green River or stay on the Interstate 15 to 70.
I prefer a scenic drive but not too slow of a drive.

Second Question: How much time should we devote to each of the three parks. We are late 60's and not hikers. Short walks are fine.

Third Question: Should we stay the entire time in Moab or spread the stays out to places closer to the other parks.

Fourth: Dead Horse Park - Should we include it. Any other places must sees in the area? We have been to Cedar Breaks, Bryce and Zion.

Fifth Question: At that time of year do you think we can take a river cruise on a jet boat or will the water levels be too low. Are they very bouncy. One of our group doesn't take like boats.

I would love to hear any other suggestions.

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 04:47 PM

Staying in Moab for both Arches and Canyonlands makes sense. Minimum 2 days for Arches and Canyonlands each. I found the Needles area (roughly the south side of Canyonlands) more interesting the Island in the Sky area for its varied hikes; but the views from Island in the Sky are more accessible and perhaps more spectacular than on the Needles side.

https://flic.kr/p/v5v6TC
https://flic.kr/p/vn5i7e
https://flic.kr/p/vmw8Qj
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 08:45 PM

Take US 6. It is scenic in parts and some not so much. But much better than I15 to 70 and over!!! Stop in Price (1/2 way point) and visit the dinosaur museum there. It is interesting.

Moab for Arches and Canyonlands. Torrey for Capital Reef.

Other things to see--stop at Goblin Valley between Moab and Torrey. You could do a short hike up Little Wildhorse Canyon as well.

Given how horrible our water year is so far, I would say October will have really low water levels. Call a rafting/boating company to ask.

If you click on my user name, you will see several trip reports for Moab, Arches, Canyonlands and a couple for Torrey as well. One report includes info on Goblin Valley and Little Wildhorse.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 07:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Ask about water conditions at a boat place in the town of Green River. There is also a museum to see on the east side of the Green River in the town of GR. DW and I stayed at the Robbers Roost motel and saved a lot of money Vs. staying in Moab. US6 and 191 are not slow roads at all.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful information.