Charleston to Savannah and other Savannah Q's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about going to Savannah in Sept or October. Is one a better time?

Also, we have to fly Southwest and they only go to Charleston. Beside renting a car, how else could we get from C to S? Once we are in S will we need a car or is there sufficient public transportation to get us around.

Would 4 or 5 nights be sufficient to get a feel for the city and see sites? We have been to Charleston, so won't be wanting any time there.

Likely staying at Brice Hotel, a Kimpton. Thanks~
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can get up early in the morning, the #97 Amtrak Silver Meteor is scheduled to be in Charleston at 4:51AM. The time on the train is about 1:45 to 2 hours arriving about 6:34AM in Savannah. Since the train comes south from Washington DC, it often runs late. The other train is the #89 Palmetto leaving at 7:19PM arriving in Savannah shortly after 9PM. Fares on these trains are in the $22 to $28 range per person in coach.
If you didn't want to fly Southwest, you could take the Silver Meteor overnight from Washington Union Station. I've slept many thousands of miles in Amtrak coach seats since October 2001.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom, but neither is an option for us.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 11:14 AM

Here is my trip report from our Charleston/Savannah trip just this fall. We went at the beginning of November. As for trip timing--on the one hand, the later you go, the cooler it will be and the humidity will be lower--which I like. On the flip side, if you want to do any kayaking or nature related guided type things, you are better going earlier. I would definitely rent a car. You don't need one in Savannah but you need one to do anything outside the city--like Fort Pulaski or the Pinpoint Heritage Museum and I don't know that there is more than 3 days worth of things to do in Savannah proper. I would also strongly recommend going to Beaufort. We only had half a day ish, could have easily spent the whole day there.
Charleston and Savannah Week Trip Report
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 11:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If your plane lands in Charleston between 5AM and 5PM I totally understand. Rent the car and return via Charleston. I also advise not taking Greyhound or any other bus.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 03:12 AM

Renting a car for that area of the country is really the way to see and enjoy. have you 'done" the Charleston plantations previously?
Good stuff to do en route to Savannah--Beaufort, the real source of Garden of Good and Evil!!
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

"Beaufort, the real source of Garden of Good and Evil!!" I didn't realize that!!!

Yes, we did plantations in Charleston - Middleton Place and Drayton Hall.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:41 PM

The Ace Basin Express came into existence recently, but now appears to be on hiatus until April 2018. It's a direct shuttle between Charleston and Savannah. I knew one person who took it last year and found it to be just fine. You might check into it.

Kathy

ACE Basin Express Schedule & Prices Charleston Savannah Bus - ACE Basin Express
ACE Basin Express - Shuttle bus between Charleston & Savannah
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:05 AM

We stayed at both Charleston and Savannah in August, we had a car and travelled via Beaufort which was wonderful and an easy drive....definitely hire the car as you need it to see both and visit the plantations and Bonaventure cemetery.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DebitNM
"Beaufort, the real source of Garden of Good and Evil!!" I didn't realize that!!!

Yes, we did plantations in Charleston - Middleton Place and Drayton Hall.
Magnolia Plantation is located between these two and well worth a visit. There's also Boone Hall -- haven't been there, though.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:59 AM

I went to Savannah and found two full days worth of sightseeing options, all in the historic downtown area -- no car needed. You could easily spend a third day on the nearby forts (didn't do these) such as Ft. Jackson, Ft. McAllister, and Ft. Pulaski, and a car is probably necessary for this. There are also the "Garden of Good and Evil" based attractions, though I didn't have these as a priority.