Search

Charleston-fun and non-stuffy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston-fun and non-stuffy

Hey all!
We are going to be going to MB Bike Week. We've done it before and quite frankly, the riding stinks, but our friends from up north haven't been and they want to go. I am trying to put together a day trip to Charleston. Where can we go that's non-stuffy and will welcome bikers. We are not hard-core bikers, just enjoy the ride. Looking for some spots to wet our whistles. Also, where is the best area in Charleston that we can walk around to get a good feel for the history?
Thank in advance!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM

This is not exactly walking, but it's a tour I wouldn't pass up. Behind the Visitor Center, there are numerous mini busses that give tours of the city. We had passed these up for years, thinking they just would not be our cup of tea. After hearing, over and over again how people enjoyed these tours, we took one. It was fantastic, and I would do it again.
You can also take a tour boat out to Ft. Sumter, if you'd like.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks- that sounds like an idea..anyone else?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM

Kingstreet, Downtown is great. Besides, you can get a glimpse of those beautiful pastel-colored houses at the "Rainbow Row", along the waterfront. Downtown has one of the nation's most important Colonial building: The Old Exchange and Customs House.

Enjoy!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I really appreciate all the info...keep it coming?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM

When I am in Charleston, I just love to walk. One of my favorite walks to take with people who have never been to Charleston before goes like this: Walk down Meeting Street, past St. Michaels church and all the pretty houses, to White Point Gardens. Veer left through the park to the Battery area. Stop and gaze at Ft. Sumter way out in the harbor. Continue on up East Bay St. Admire more historic homes (maybe even tour the Edmondson-Alston house), as you make your way toward Rainbow Row. Keep following East Bay until you reach Market St. Stop and prowl through all the tacky, but fun souvenirs and appreciate the fine work of the sweetgrass basket makers. Stop in one of the candy stores in the area and grab a snack. Take your snack back up East Bay to Vendue and enjoy it on a bench in the park that overlooks the harbor. Some of the "benches" are actually porch swings. If there is a good breeze coming off the water, this is a fabulous place to hang out and appreciate the beauty of the area.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM

The minibus tour that we enjoyed (and recommend all the time) is the Gullah Tour with Alfonso Brown. (www.gullatours.com). He is MOST entertaining and you'll see everything Charleston has to offer!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What great ideas...now, how about places to wet our whsitles? Nothing stuffy and uppity, please..and it doesn't neccesarily need to be downtown Charleston...