Search

CHARLESTON B&B

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 07:40 AM
MIRIAM

CHARLESTON B&B

Does anyone know anything about 1843 Battery Carrage House Inn? There are no pictures on internet,just picture of street. Also Phoebe Pember House B&B? Or any other B&B's recommended?

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Lynn

We stayed at the Battery Carriage House Inn last May. We enjoyed our visit. Room was decorated quite nicely. We were put in the "garden level" which is a euphemism for a room under the front porch. Don't get me wrong, we loved our room under the porch, the closest WE will ever get to living in a mansion. We had a table and 2 chairs outside our door (and also under the porch)to relax and have a drink or coffee. The garden was ok, not really fancy, but still, a place to sit amid some greenery. The staff could not have been nicer - serious southern hospitality. Did not see the inside of the carriage rooms attached behind the big house but were told on a ghost walk that not one but TWO ghosts reside there. Beleive it if you like! They had wine and cheese each night. As far as location.... it is in a fabulous residential mansion/fine home and garden area. We LOVED walking around the neighborhood but it was a distance to get over to the tourist/commercial/restaurant areas. The trolley stops at the corner tho - very convenient. We liked this spot - charming, gracious, quiet and cheaper than some places closer to the "action". Two Meeting Street B&B is a half a block away - that place- WOW- but oh so expensive!!!

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Lynn

We stayed at the Battery Carriage House Inn last May. We enjoyed our visit. Room was decorated quite nicely. We were put in the "garden level" which is a euphemism for a room under the front porch. Don't get me wrong, we loved our room under the porch, the closest WE will ever get to living in a mansion. We had a table and 2 chairs outside our door (and also under the porch)to relax and have a drink or coffee. The garden was ok, not really fancy, but still, a place to sit amid some greenery. The staff could not have been nicer - serious southern hospitality. Did not see the inside of the carriage rooms attached behind the big house but were told on a ghost walk that not one but TWO ghosts reside there. Beleive it if you like! They had wine and cheese each night. As far as location.... it is in a fabulous residential mansion/fine home and garden area. We LOVED walking around the neighborhood but it was a distance to get over to the tourist/commercial/restaurant areas. The trolley stops at the corner tho - very convenient. We liked this spot - charming, gracious, quiet and cheaper than some places closer to the "action". Two Meeting Street B&B is a half a block away - that place- WOW- but oh so expensive!!!

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:49 PM
miriam

Thanks Lynn for the info. Tried booking at 2 meeting street but it was booked.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Eva

I was in Charleston just recently.There is some sewer maintenance and/or other street repair going on in the historic district, with heavy equipment, drilling and other very serious 'sound effects'. My daughter and I noticed that right in front of Two Meeting Street B&B that was going full blast and remarked that we would not like to spend that kind of money and not be able to enjoy the otherwise peaceful surroundings.Sitting on the lovely porch or in the garden would be out of the question.It would be wise to inquire if and when repairs or construction would be on-going during your stay. I'd like to add that we stayed at French Quarter Inn near Market Square and so many places were walking distance from our hotel. It made it more convenient to get around. Of course, the Battery area has its own charms. We loved our trip, and I hope you will, too .