Reload this Page >

Romantic Weekend-John Rutledge Inn ??? Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:45 AM
ck

Looking for a romantic inn or B& B for special anniversay. Has anyone stayed in the Carriage House of the John Rutledge Inn?
Any suggestions for romantic dinners, walks etc.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
k

We stayed at the John Rutledge Inn last summer in their carriage house because we needed two double beds. The room was very lovely, tastefully done and my only complaint is that the is no real view to speak of. The carriage houses have been very modernized so little is left to see of the old structure. If you want romance mixed with history stay in the main house. We got to peek in a couple of the rooms and they were definately more romantic (high ceilings, fireplace, etc.). In the afternoons they offer a "tea" with light snacks. It was a nice way to wind down after a day of sightseeing and a fun time to swap travel tips with other guests in the upstairs parlor. Also there is a large album with menus from all the restaurants you can look through to decide on dinner for the evening. Every guest I spoke with raved about how fun the ghost tours at night were - you should look into it (our schedule didn't allow for it on this trip). Instead of taking a taxi to dinner in the evenings we took a rickshaw. It was a lot of fun and they have become quite popular. Be sure to use them at least once! And finally have dinner one evening at Circa 1860? (can't remember) we were very very impressed - quite a little jewel. Have fun!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:23 AM
ck

Thank you so much for your reply. Was the inn in walking distance to restaurants. I will look up your restaurant suggestion.
The main house is booked up so I am glad to here that the carriage house was nice, if not as charming.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:11 AM
dan woodlief

It remember seeing that Inn when in Charleston last week. It is a bit of a walk to some of the restaurants around the City Market and East Bay Street, but not too much. It is a nice walk. There are some very nice ones over on Queen Street, which wouldn't be much of a walk at all. Try Poogan's Porch and 82 Queen. They are at 72 and 82 Queen Street.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:33 PM
k

Dan is right - it is a bit of a walk, but to put it all into perspective the Historical area of Charleston is not all that large so if you are in average shape you should enjoy the walk. But in the evenings we took a rickshaw (partially because we were so tired from walking all day!) Plus the rickshaws are great fun and a super way to see Charleston's historical area.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
k

Oh yes, Dan's suggestion of 82 Queen is an excellent one - very close to the Inn and we had a wonderful meal on the terrace, excellent She-crab soup. Poogan's Porch was not so wonderful, but we had to try it since it seems to be on the to-do list while in Charleston!