Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Charleston Hotel for Mother and Daughters Trip

Charleston Hotel for Mother and Daughters Trip

Jan 13th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Charleston Hotel for Mother and Daughters Trip

We are three daughters who are leaving husbands behind and going to Charleston with our Mom...our Dad passed away last year and we think she would love to do this girls weekend away.
We would like a centrally located hotel or B and B...would like a property with lovely rooms and great service. The Wentworth sounds wonderful, but more for couples....also, a little over our budget. We would need two rooms or a two bedroom suite. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:44 AM
TravelLaughter

Avoid Francis Marion - high prices, dirty rooms, this place needs a major make-over ASAP. And there are better loications if you plan to spend time near the Battery.

Restaurants: Magnolia's, Peninsula, High Cotton and Mistral.

Great buggy rides, and use the pedacycles - cheap and fun.

Jan 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
GoTravel

I sound like a broken record but The Doubletree is my favorite middle of the road Charleston Hotel with a location that cannot be beat. Right in the middle of everything and very nice.

The Planters Inn is out of this world but very $$$$.

Shop for shoes at Bob Ellis (www.BobEllis.com).

Jan 14th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I don't know if the Harbourview Inn fits your budget, but the location is great and rooms are nice - we stayed in the newer side. Nice feature is that continental breakfast is included, wine and cheese each evening, and cookies and milk later in the evening. Check it out.
Jan 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM

I would recommend also the Mills House. It is a Holiday Inn property, but it is incredibly nice and right in the middle of everything you would want to do. There is a parking deck connected at a cost of $12 a day, but park your car, forget about it until you need to leave, and walk everywhere.

I would recommend at least one dinner at Garibaldi's on South Market Street -- about 5 blocks from the Mills House -- just a short, enjoyable stroll away. And the wait staff are all young men, and cute as can be. They will make your evening -- not flirtatious necessarily, but attentive and charming. Order the Crispy Flounder. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

My sisters and I took another sister there right after she lost her husband. We quietly and discreetly let the staff know that our sister was recovering from a traumatic time, and they could not have been nicer and even brought her a complimentary dessert and gave her gentle attention.

This place has my highest recommendation.

Jan 15th, 2005, 03:13 AM

gotravel, you brought to mind my wonderful shoe shopping expedition at Bob Ellis, I could not remember the name ! I also found a wonderful silk top at Michele Ricci .....

Dinner at the Peninsula was fabulous.

I only spent a day and a half in Charleston
( we were golfing at Kiawah) but I do hope to return one day.
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:54 AM
GoTravel

Bob Ellis is what heaven looks like!

Jan 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM
jwr

www.charlestonhotelguide.com

Mills House is great - perfect location. Vendue Inn also. You really don't want to stay down at the Battery, a bit of a walk to all the shopping, reastaurants and sites. There are many choices that are much more convenient. King Charles Inn is very popular, and affordable. Just depends on your pocketbook.
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Is the Harbourview considered part of the Battery location?
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Also, how about the location of the French Quarter Inn?
Jan 15th, 2005, 05:30 PM
jwr

The Harbourview is on Vendue Range, which runs along the waterfront if I'm not mistaken. The South end would have you near the Battery, which, don't get me wrong, is an absolutely beautiful place and a wonderful area to stay, unless you want to be able to walk out of your hotel and not have to hike to where everything is. It's not that it's THAT far, it's just not close enough that you could come and go.
The North end of Vendue is quite convenient to everything, so you might ask that question. I'm not familiar w/ many of the newer hotels really, we always stay at the beach and drive into town for the day when we are there. Do you know the location of the French Quarter Inn?
Jan 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM

The French Quarter Inn is on Cumberland Street, if I remember correctly. I've never stayed there, but it has a marvelous roof-top bar with a good view of the harbor. It is very conveniently located and only a couple of blocks from the market.
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM

When we traveled to Charleston last year,(three girl friends on a budget in need of a vacation) I took Gotravelís advice and stayed at the Doubletree. We had a wonderful time and thought the hotel to be in a perfect central location. I had done much research and once there, decided we had made a very wise choice with this one, as I was able to easily walk all around the city and visit all sites I had been interested in seeing. The one-bedroom suites were lovely for the price and the staff could not have been nicer. Enjoy your visit; Iím sure your mother will love it.

Search this Thread