Charleston; Ashville;Smokey Mountains;Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlleston for 3 nights the 3rd week in April and we need ideas of where to stay; then 2 nights in Ashville-where to stay and we love crafts; then Smokey Mountain and on to Chicago- any ideas about routes, points of interes and nice B&B's appreciated - blondgrammy
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM

In charleston stay at planters inn. Its awesome. Eat lunxh at justines kitchen. Don't eat at tommy condons. It over rated. Snob is a great rest. Shem creek in mountpleasent is great. Don't but a sweet grss basket they cost to much. Instead have her make you a braclet.smokey mount follow blue ridge parkway its beautiful and takes you everywhere.biltmore house in ashveille is over rated. Look at the brochure and save your money.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:07 AM

We have stayed at Arbor House in Black Mountain and highly recommend it. Black Mountain is a community that is maybe a 20 minute drive east of Ashville. There are good restaurants and craft stores there. You can day trip to Ashville if you want. Black Mountain is less crowded and easy to walk around. It is a smaller community also.

The Southern Highland Guild Folk Art Center has a place between Ashville and Black Mountain which is not to be missed if you like quality handmade items. It is dangerous!! as there are always beautiful items. Also the Blue Spiral Gallery.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - Good ideas about the trip - Any ideas about where to stay in Charleston close to the historical district $below $300 - also driving the Smokey Mountains, we start out in Ashville - how far can we travel and where should we stay that night? Points of interest in the Smokeys? Blondgranny
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM

There is a place called HOT SPRINGS, NC where they have mineral hot tubs. The tubs are all very private (read nude); some are along the river. They are emptied and cleaned after each
couple . You can call and make reservations for a tub @ 828-622-7676. The cost is $30- 35 for an hour. They are also on line so you can google. We love it there!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM

PS.. when in Savannah, skip Paula Deen's Restaurant. It is just a buffet with fried and bque chicken. Very, very over rated. More about profit- get them in and out than quality of food! Cracker Barrel has better veges!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM

We stayed at a great place in Charleston (3 yrs. ago)... The King Charles Inn on Meeting Street in the Historic District. It is not a B&B, but it was very welcoming, accommodating, cozy and comfortable with wine & cheese each evening and a presentation on the History of Charleston and surrounding area. I travel with 2 companions and since we split the cost 3 ways, we take the opportunity to stay at the best hotels. The King Charles was not nearly as expensive as the hotels we usually stay in but we booked it because of its excellent location. (I believe it was something like $150/nite). We were very pleasantly surprised and all agree it is one of our favorite hotels to date.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Have to totally disagree with mpt3309. We loved Paula Deens and it was far, far superior to Cracker Barrel. JMHO

Just got back from Charleston, stayed at the Hampton Inn historic distric. Would highly recommend it, get one of the L-shaped rooms they are huge.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Will second the Best Western King Charles Inn as a well located, reasonably priced place to stay in Charleston. Not fancy, but good value. For Charleston food, will heartily second S.N.O.B. (best meal I had during my visit there, by far), but did not at all like Jestine's.

Savannah: I went to The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's place) while in this city on vacation -- got the dinner buffet. It was reasonably good (certainly better than Cracker Barrel), but I greatly preferred Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room, which had significantly superior food in this cuisine style; they serve boarding house family style, and the hours are limited, M-F 11 AM to 2 PM -- would recommend getting there about half an hour ahead, as the line can get very long there (no reservations). Leopold's is a good spot for ice cream.

Food questions are in my experience best answered at the Chowhound website.