Charleston

Old May 25th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston

I want to stay in a hotel in Charleston that has balconies (preferrably overlooking water but not mandatory). Balcony mandatory. Can you recommend one?
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM
GoTravel

The only one that may (Charleston is full of 200-300 year old buildings and balconies are non existent) would be the Harbourview Inn.

Also, few hotels downtown are on the water.

One of the houses on the Battery may be a B&B.

Are you familiar at all with Charleson? People don't come to downtown Charleson for the water.

The Hilton on Patriots Point may also have balconies but it is 30 minutes from downtown.

Old May 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM

The way Charleston is laid out is not really conducive to water views for the most part. I would opt for one of the B & B's on the Battery if I wanted to be close to the water. Most of the better hotels are in the Market area. I can't recommend any of the hotels near the water as I've not stayed there...
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:26 AM
GoTravel

http://www.harbourviewcharleston.com

http://www.marketpavillion.com/index1.cfm

Both have balconies and the upper floors at Market Pavillion may have water views.

Expect to pay between $300-$600 depending upon time of year.

Let me know what you find!

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM

The Wentworth has a cupola with views of Charleston and a common balcony where you can sip your afternoon sherry. The room we stayed in did not have its own balcony...maybe some do?
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies to my question. I know Charleston is not known for its water views, however, my interest in a balcony would be only to sit out drinking my early morning coffee, and sipping my early evening wine. This is always a ritual while on vacation.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM

The Andrew Pinckney Inn has a 4th floor terrace where breakfast is served for all, and then during the evenings we winos certainly found our way back there. View of the Market district, Custom House, Yorktown and cruise ships. I did not love the hotel but we really enjoyed the terrace.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:45 PM

The Charleston Holiday Inn Historic District has balconies. We stayed there about a year ago. I think only the top floor (club level or whatever) has the balconies. Our balcony faced Calhoun St. The balconys have private partitions so the people in the next room will not gawk at you while you are sipping the coffee.

The hotel is really nice, clean, charming. They have this famous concierge that is a god with the tripadvisor people, Kevin. When I sat down with him I felt like I was sitting in a car dealership and he was trying to force me to buy something.

We ate at the downstairs restaurant a couple of times for breakfast and it was very nice. There is plenty of parking in their lot. I think they may have charged $10 per day for parking.

We got the room on an AARP rate. Something like $130 per night. It was an excellent deal.

A few people on tripadvisor have posted that the hotel in in a bad neighborhood. Hogwash! We felt very safe walking around. It is however sort of on the perimeter of the historic district. It is an excellent hotel.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:15 AM

You won't want to be sitting outside sipping coffee or wine in the summer months - too steamy/sticky most of the time.