Lodging with a view in Charleston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Planning a trip to Charleston in late September & was wondering if there are any UPSCALE hotels in the historic district that have views, balconies, etc.?

Thanks very much.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Views of what?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Check out GoTravel's very good report on Charleston. It was done about a year ago this April. She did an exhaustive review of hotels and restaurants. It should come up by doing a word search for either her screen name (she posts frequently so keep scrolling) or Charleston.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM

This is not that upscale, but the views are fabulous. It's the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Riverview. It's not your typical Courtyard, more upscale than a regular Courtyard, but the views of the marina and the water are beautiful. If you decide to stay there, be sure to ask for a riverview room.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Sorry! I didn't specify WHAT I wanted a view OF: preferably the marina, water, etc. But, I guess what I'm really looking for is some place with a verandah where we might be able to sit outside, have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and enjoy some fresh air and scenery while we're there.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:20 AM

As mentioned, the Courtyard does have great views of the marina but not all rooms have balconies so make sure to request one. The hotel is not within walking distance of the historic district but only a few minutes away by car.

While it is not downtown, it is just 15 minutes away its the Belvidere Club & Resort in Mt. Pleasant
(www.belvidereclub.com). It sits right on the Cooper River with great views of the water, the city, Ft. Sumter and the new bridge.

Other than these nothing immediately comes to mind but I'll keep thinking. Also as suggested, read GoTravel's report as I know she did mention a few places in town.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:26 AM

If you want views then the best place to stay is probably on the Battery. However, the location is a bit of a walk to the Market St./downtown area. As you don't mind a hike (or hopping in the car) that would be my preference for views. Most of those are B & B's though...try the 2 Meeting Street Inn or Battery Carriage House.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
GoTravel

Kathy, The Harbourview has a magnificent view of the the Harbour.

It certainly is upscale and the view is breathtaking.

The Wentworth Mansion and Market Pavillion will also have excellent views of both city and water from their suites on the upper floors.