charleston overnight stop?

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charleston overnight stop?

my husband and i are traveling from south florida to washington dc over thanksgiving. we're hoping to stop over for just one night. would charleston be a good choice? any ideas on places to stay? thanks for any ideas.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Charleston would be a lovely choice, providing you are leaving at least some time to sightsee. It is a very beautiful city.
The Courtyard Downtown Riverview, Springhill Suites and Residence Inn are all great choices and are all on the water.
The Courtyard Downtown Riverview is especially nice. It's not your typical Courtyard. Make sure to ask for a riverview room.
The Springhill Suites and the Residence Inn are also nice and serve breakfast.
If you'd like a dinner suggestion, try California Dreaming. It looks like a castle and is on the water and has good food. Go early--they don't take reservations and they get very crowded very quickly.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:01 AM

We live in Richmond and have used both Charleston and Savannah as stopovers on the way to Florida. In Charleston, try to stay near the market area. You'll find nice restaurants, an interesting market, and good pubs. I don't remember the name of the hotel we normally stay at, but there are several smaller charming old hotels in the area.

David
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:24 AM

The Doubletree Hotel is actually a very nice hotel and a very short walk to the market. If you want a B&B you could try The Elliot House, Meeting Street Inn, Two Meeting Street Inn, Jasmine House or Indigo Inn. All are very nice B&B's and located downtown.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:08 AM

On oour drive from Virginia to Florida, we always stop at Savannah-it is just for an overnite at a motel and not for any sightseeing at all..We normally stay at the La Quinta on I 95 for it's quick access back onto the interstate and do not go into downtown Savannah itself for anything.

IF you are stopping in Charleston, it is more OFF the beaten path as you need to take I 20 off of I 95 and go eat for about 1 1/2 hr to reach Charleston- so to me , it is NOT considered a stop over- It is a direct destination and you need to spend at least 2 days in Charleston to really enjoy the city...

If you do decide on Charleston, THE ELLIOTT HOUSE is my inn of choice....been staying there for years. The location is excellent- right near the Market and near all the great restaurants....
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM

having a typo this am-

I 20 EAST to Charleston ( not eat! )....