Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

changing airports in NYC--how difficult is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big of a hassle is it and time-cousuming(and how expensive) to go from one JFK to either LaGuardia or Newark? My son has a convoluted plan to buy a ticket from Europe into JFK and then purchase a separate ticket for the connecting US portion. The difficulty is that all of the more affordable flights to where we live--MSP originate from airports other than JFK. Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM

It could be a real pain, especially if it's one of the NYC airport and Newark. If it's during rush hour, even worse. JFK to LAG is managable. There may be some kind of shuttle service between the 2 but I don't know off hand.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:34 AM

It's inconvenient and time consuming...but I suppose if $ is tight and the savings is significant it's worthwhile. There is a shuttle service that runs between the three airports. More info at http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connframewr.htm
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM

This link should provide answers to all your questions:

www.panynj.gov/aviation/connfram.HTM

It looks like it will cost $11 to $13 by bus and take about 45 minutes. Traffic can stretch that out to forever. Also note that you will have to start the baggage and security check in procedure all over again once you get to the new airport. Unless your flights are separated by about five hours or more, it may be too risky.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JFK to LaGurdia is do-able but depends on how long you'll be stuck in traffic, an unknowable and often long time.

JFK to Newark is an insane idea, as the distance is long (40 miles?) and includes a few river crossings, New York City (Manhattan or the long way through Staten Island), and the most congested parts of New Jersey. It could take half the day and significant dollars. Don't expect to find a cab willing to do it for less than a ransom!

Of course, it could be an adventure ...
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM

My 22 year old daughter bid on tix on Priceline from NY to Charleston SC. Her winning bid gave her tix from JFK -- she lives in Poughkeepsie less than 2 hours from Newark.

Using the info at panynj.gov site she took the train from P'keepsie into Grand Central, took the subway to Penn Station, then the LIRR to the air train to JFK. She was very lucky -- no wating for connections and did it in a little over 3 hours. She thought it was a great adventure. Did I mention, she's 22???

How adventurous is your son? And does it HAVE to be JFK??

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:33 PM
GoTravel

Three hours? The flight from any of the NYC airports to Charleston is only 1 1/2 hours tops.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM

I KNOW -- but you can't always tell a 22 year old anything
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I knew I'd find some help here. I've been trying to tell him that this isn't the hottest idea. The problem is that he has been living and working in Eastern Europe for a year, doesn't have a ton on money because he has been earning an eastern European salary, and ticket prices from there to the the US are horrendously expensive. He found some cheap ticket into JFK and then assumed he could just hop on a cheap flight to MSP. He's obviously adventuresome, but even he knows that sometimes price isn't everything when it comes to travelling. To top it all off because of arrival time from Europe, I think he'd have to wait until morning to be able to be certain he could make a flight.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:29 PM

If you have more than four hours and not during rush hour, I would recomend cabbing it to LGA from JFK if you will save more than US$100. The cab ride will cost at least US$20 plus all the hassle. Nevertheless, no traffic - distance is a 15 minute cab ride.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Since he's young, and doesn't have a lot of money, why not plan to spend a night at the HI/AYH hostel at 103rd & Amsterdam, then do the LGA flight the next day? He need only walk 2 short blocks W, 3 blocks N to catch the M60 bus which will drop him at the door of his LGA terminal.

The problem w/ flights on 2 different airlines is that neither airline will care one bit about delays & cancellations on the other. If his first flight is delayed, he might not arrive at LGA ontime for the 2nd flight.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Rob

There is a shuttle that runs from JF to LGA. About 10 miles separates the two airports. A taxi would cost around $25 and can take as little as 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes. Unless there is a complete stoppage of traffic the trip will not take more than 30 minutes. There is a shuttle from JFK to EWR. The cost is around $20.That trip can take at least an hour and possibly a bit more.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Why would anybody take an expensive private cab ride (unless your company is paying) from airport to airport when you can take an $11 direct shuttle from JFK to LGA or a $24 shuttle from JFK to EWR? The shuttle isn't difficult, you just have to allow enough time for potential traffic & connections.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. the hostel is a good idea. Is it easy to get to the hostel from JFK?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
yk

julies-

How much $ will your son be saving by going to 2 different airports?

You have to factor in the cost to travel between the 2 airports. And if he stays overnight in the hostel in NYC, you'll have to add in the hostel cost, + at least 1 or 2 meals he'll be having in NYC. When you add all this up, is there still going to be any significant savings?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM

I don't know how many times if ever all the other posters do this route, but I have done it about 10 times in the last 2 years.
AA has a flight from Tampa to LaGuardia and their international flight to London goes out of JFK.
Forget about hostels, just do the shuttle if he on a tight budget or taxi if he could splurge a bit or if he's running little late.

It took less than 40 minutes for the shuttle and never more than 20 minutes with a taxi.

Some advice - Since he will have to go through immigration and customs at JFK, don't assume that if he lands at noon he will be safe to take the 3pm flight. Going the other direction, 3 hours would be plenty, but with Immigration and customs involved you should tell your son to give himself at least 4 hours. Also remember that the shuttle has fixed departure times, so if he misses one, the next one won't leave for 30 minutes.
But if for some reason, he is running late, get a taxi, tell the driver there is $5 extra for him if he gets to LaGuardia quickly, and he'll be surprised what these drivers can do. They know all the bypasses if there is a major traffic on the expressway.

Don't worry, and forget about staying overnight. That would defeat the purpose.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM

If he decides to do this,all I can say
is he probably will not try it again.Flying into and out of both airports in NYC,Newark is in NJ is never easy so good luck.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM

If he has unlimited time and saving $ is the primary object it is reasonable to go from one arport to another by shuttle. He would just need to make sure that his flight from europe is an early morning one - to be sure he arrives in NY in time to make the ariport change and still catch a flight out.

JFK to LGA is fairly simple - and unless he runs into a serious accident an hour transfer time should be plenty - but he also needs to add at least an hour to get through passport and customs at JFK and leave a two-hour check in window at LGA - so four hours total.

For EWR he should leave at least a 5 hour window - the trip could take as little as 50 minutes or so - but if there is any trafiic tie-up at any of the bridges or tunnels it could easily take 2 hours.