Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Change my Dec. Miami vacation plans???NO WAY!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking forward to our first trip to the east coast in Dec. I have heard of lots of cancelled plans and a decrease in Florida travel plans for the winter. I made the mistake of cancelling plans to the east coast 2 weeks after the 9-11 disaster. I regret that decision. I let the terrorist win. I am hopeful that my travel dollars will assist-in some small way.
You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. The posts I've read make me even more excited about my trip-Floridians are amazing people. Can't wait to meet some of you!!! Sorry to preach.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM
GoTravel

You aren't preaching Barbie but I wonder why people would cancel winter travel plans for Florida?

I'm flying to Miami week after next and not thinking a thing of it.

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Go Travel, I'm flying to MIA week after next, too. I arrive on the 26th. Of course, my trip is business, rather than pleasure. Hopefully yours is for something more fun, like Barbie's.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I live in Miami.
Why would anyone want to cancel plans to come here?????? December is always booked,half the northeast is down here. Where would you hear such information?
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Perhaps Barbie, like many people is thinking of Florida as a whole. All one has to do is go through other recent posts here and see of numerous people discussing cancelling their upcoming trips to Florida -- but particularly to Sanibel or Ft. Myers Beach due to the hurricane damage there. Doesn't seem so far fetched to me, but I admire your spirit. Come on down, Barbie!!!
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

The television report(s) I am referring to said that even the cruise industry was being negatively affected because people did not want to have to 'risk' traveling through Miami. My travel plans are for leisure travel. We save all year to get one week of vacation. All my friends are urging me to travel elsewhere. Yes-it is very hard to tell what areas have/are being damaged. a
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

OOPS. Accidentally posted before I was done with my thought. I try to not dwell on the negative-but alot of the news reporting has been very disturbing.
I can't wait to see what Florida has to offer!