Champagne budget to beer (maybe wine) budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching a trip to Alaska for mid June (dates are flexible). My plan is to cruise from Seattle or Vancouver to Seward or Whittier. Then do a land tour of Anchorage and Denali. My hubby about had coronary when he heard the price of my plan. I need some advise. I definitely want atleast an oceanview but really would love a balcony room. We definitely would need to be on a land tour to avoid his driving. Would it be best to take a balcony cabin and forgo the land tour or take an ocenview and a land tour?? Any other ways to do this reasonably? This is my dream vacation and I want to see and do it all>
Thanks
Evelyn
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Book the balcony room that your little heart desires and tell your husband you found a great deal. Once you're at sea, toss him overboard.
Don't throw him the life raft until he promises to pay for the trip without complaining. You might also get him to agree to never get behind the wheel of a car again.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM

I have cruised many times with and without a balcony. I would say that unless you could afford one of the suites its not worth paying the extra for a balcony. It also depends on the ship. They are all configured differently and we've had balconies so small we could hardly fit. So if cost if an issue go with an outside cabin. The weather isn't all that warm on the Alaska cruise so you really wouldn't spend that much time on it anyway. Also the views can be on both side of the ship so if you are on deck you can go from side to side easily. And, if the weather is not that warm you would spend the time in one of the public rooms in comfort. My last cruise was South America and Antarctica. We had a balcony but really didn't use it at all.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Is there a reason for the avoiding driving??? It clearly is not what you are likely thinking. It is simple, relaxing, easy 2 lane road driving. NO traffic concerns. Wonderful scenic driving for the driving and passenger.

It also is the cheapest way to tour Alaska- staying in B&B's and allows you the most important factor- freedom. No time is wasted in areas that aren't of your interest, no waiting for buses, loading etc etc. You can do twice as much for half the cost.

www.toursaver.com can offer significant discounts, not really usable on cruisetours.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM
cd

While I love to have a room with a balcony, if I had to choose between a balcony or a land tour I would choose the land tour hands down. And we loved driving! I think the name is TurnAgain Arm, south of Anchorage that we drove over and over, you just have so much flexibility and it's easy driving.
I would also recommend sailing from Vancouver.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM

My dad wanted to see the inside passage, but didn't like the idea of a cruise (they could afford one). So he took my mom on an unforgetable ferry adventure. They both loved it (this was in the early 90's). They reserved sleeping cabins during the stretches where they didn't have an overnight stop. I just wanted to share, and my DH and I intend on doing this trip when we have the time. http://www.akferry.org/
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Oh, my parents were foot passengers, but you can take a car. So you can do some driving as Budget Queen mentioned if you want to go that route.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM

We are doing the cruise this summer, and just wanted to share the best piece of advise we've gotten from the travel boards: budget to include shore excursions, i.e., flight seeing, etc, even at the expense of a balcony cabin.

Cant wait!!(August Coral Princess)
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM

ttt