alaska cruise room question

Aug 9th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

alaska cruise room question

Ok it time for us to decide should we get the stateroom with the big window or the veranda room with the balcony and whirlpool tub. The balcony room is $1700 more. The cruise we are going on is first of Sept. do we need the balcony won't it be a bit chilly, any opinions?
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:10 AM

We cruised Princess in June to Alaska. Had 2 mini-suite balcony rooms for us and near-adult kids.

While the Balcony was nice a few times, it was COLD. Even in the summer in Alaska it is cool. It was nice to step out to balcony to see things as we passed by, but I think a window would have accomplished almost the same thing.

Excursions/side trips in Alaska are very expensive - if money is at all a consideration (and I think it is for everyone), you might consider spending the same money on that.
Aug 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM

we went to Alaska during a similar time, the last week in August. Then the balcony was usable most of the time and it was nice to have, esp. when going thru Tracy Arm. It was early too then but a sweater was fine. If you can afford it then go for the balcony. However I agree with the other poster about the cost of excursions. They are expensive so it depends on your budget. If it comes down to a balcony vs. excursions then skip the balcony. Have fun. Larry
Aug 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM

The balcony rooms are priced higher for a reason, I guess. If you can afford it - go for it! It's probably nice on the sea days, or sailing to/from a port.

Signed,
a cheapskate who goes for a window cabin only
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM

We're leaving on our second Alaskan cruise on the 31st of August. The first time we chose a balcony - it was nice, but chilly (and damp - it rained nearly every day - a misty, foggy rain). It was far and away much better to see the glaciers from a vantage point on the deck!! This time we are saving the extra $$$$ and have opted for an outside cabin.
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Hi,

I was on an Alaska cruise in early June and really enjoyed having a private balcony. I wore a fleece jacket with jeans and it was perfect. I grew up in the Seattle area, so rain and cold can be easily addressed with layers and a rain jacket...hot tea and coffee help, too. When we went through Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, it was spectacular to have my own private spot to view and take pictures of the glaciers and floating ice pieces. It can get crowded in the viewing areas with people elbowing each other out of the way for a view and/or pictures. I love the privacy and quiet of my own balcony - I could hear the glaciers cracking and "calving" and my balcony was much closer to the glaciers, shoreline, etc.

I recommend a stateroom on the right side going northbound and left side going southbound.

Best Regards,
Julia
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM

We cruised Alaska in September. We were in a ocean view cabin. Based on the cool weather (not cold) we agreed that we were glad we did not spend the extra money on a balcony. Like someone else said the best place to see the glaciers is from the open decks anyway.
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Definately get your balcony, IF it does not take away from your touring options. My opinion only, but tours are a big part of the travel.

I spend all my time out on deck, since I am not happy with a side only view. People rave about their balcony cabins, so if a priority for you, go for it.
Aug 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Balcony is nice for Alaskan cruise but it will be "cool" in September.

You just don't see as much in an outside cabin comapre to a balcony room if you value your privacy.

If you don't mind being a bit crowded, head to the open decks and save yourself some money.

If you want privacy ... and the full view all hours of the day ... then you gotta spend the money.

For me, the windows work.

Aug 16th, 2008, 05:19 AM

In response to the above,there are NO CROWDS on deck outside of the glacier sailing day, and even that day, there are many underprepared passenger with their attire, who stay out only a short time. So even that isn't bad. I frequently am the only one out other times.
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:09 AM

Hi. Yes, it will be chilly. I did my research for my family's Alaskan Cruise in September. We will be getting balcony rooms and the people I talked to say it will be the best cruise you'll ever take. My family are packing our fall and winter clothes and jackets for the balcony and the sight-seeing. This will be my third cruise.

It depends on what you decide and do while you are on the cruise. I wish you the best and thanks for some advice for my cruise coming up.
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM

A calrification to my reference to the "crowd" is the when the ship is at the Glacier. Even on the way in and out, the open decks are not all that crowded. Tahnks to BudgetWueen for the clarification.

If you scout out the ship, there are open decks that are less known to most of the passengers. Hint: think cabins only decks and at the front. Do your home work and find those spots.

In reference to passengers that is under-prepared, the ships gave out blankets. Those who choose not to be out there made their choice to be inside and has nothing to do with preparedness. If you have a balcony and faces the right way, you have a choice to stay in your cabin with the balcony door closed, in your jammies and enjoy a glasss of wahtever you have in your disposal.

I am like FainaAgain, a cheapskate who goes for a window cabin.