Search

Cruise to Alaska w/10 yr old boy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM
S_S
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise to Alaska w/10 yr old boy

We are considering going on a cruise to Alaska this summer. Any advice on about a week's trip/cruise would be appreciated.
Which cruise line would be good for a family with a 10 yr old?
How about seasickness?
Do we need an outside room or is inside OK?
We have never cruised before so all help would be great. Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM
S_S
Original Poster

Also, how do the staterooms work with 3 people - they seem very small do they have triples or do you have to get 2 rooms?
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Yes they have triples. I suggest you choose the cruise for the adults. Your son will have a great time anyway. Do your homework. It's important you find out what Alaska cruising offers. Head to your library and see if Alaska by Cruiseship is available, also Fodor's Alaska.

If you are looking at only a round trip cruise, superior for scenery is Vancouver vs Seattle. IF glacier viewing is a priority don't select Tracy Arm except on NCL, and then budget in the necessary add on Tracy Arm tours at $185pp.

I've seen plenty of people seasick on Alaska cruises, it's a myth, it's "smooth as glass" definately not so, with Seattle round trips the most potential. I suggest you contact your health car provider for preventive advice.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Kids love cruises! My 16 year old has been on 4 and would drop anything to go again. She was 10 on her first cruise so I know your 10 year old have a blast.

The inside rooms feel close even with two adults so add an active 10 yo and you can imagine how tight it will feel. Get a balcony stateroom if your budget allows because you use your private verandah to watch the majestic scenery without having to look for deck space. It will also be more spacious since inside rooms are usually the smallest rooms on the ship.

An ocean view room is usually slightly larger than the interior room plus the outside scene makes it feel roomier.

Seasickness is not a concern because Inside Passage Alaska waters are smooth as glass. You will quickly forget you are moving.

Feel free to contact me for more information. I have cruised twice in Alaska and know your family will have a great time.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM

"Seasickness is not a concern because Inside Passage Alaska waters are smooth as glass. You will quickly forget you are moving.

Feel free to contact me for more information. I have cruised twice in Alaska and know your family will have a great time."

This is completely false. You most certainly can run into rough sailing in Alaska. NONE of the ships sail completely inside passage, and overall, sail less of it than several years ago. I have sailed far more than 2 times here and have seen plenty of sick passengers and have had plenty of rough sailing days.

Take precautions if prone.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:00 AM

We flew into Anchorage, then cruised south to Vancouver - an excellent trip. A ten year old would love this cruise with all the wild life, the glaciers, the Native American areas, and of course the ship. Though there are typically not too many days that are pure sailing (we had only one, the last day) you might want to get a feel for what the kids clubs offer on the various lines. Some are better than others. We used Celebrity and it was an excellent cruise but I can not comment on the kids club as we had no kids along. There were not too many kids on our cruise as it was in September after the start of school.