Cezanne Exhibit in DC - Timing a Visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I actually LIVE in DC but I need advice about taking people to the Cezanne exhibit at the National Gallery. Since there are no passes, I'm thinking the optimum (i.e. least crowded) time to be there is when the doors open at 10:00 am on a weekday. My friend insists it's less crowded around 2:30 pm, after the school tours depart and the museum quiets down at the day's end. Does anyone have an opinion, insight, or experience to share? Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM

My vote is for weekday at 3:00. Or maybe Sunday at 4:30 because most folks forget that NGA is open until 6:00 on Sundays and the crowds begin to leave before 5:00. Also, make sure to go in February before tourist season starts up in March. But I really expect that it will be busy all the time for Cezanne. At least there is no entrance fee so we lucky DC residents can keep going back, trying for a less crowded view.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I may drop by and talk to the museum staff for tips too. I'm taking friends from England on a funky day -- the Friday before the 3-day Presidents' Day weekend. So there may be no school trips, DC residents may be leaving town, some weekend tourists may be arriving Thursday, etc. Hard to tell what the net effect on crowds will be!!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM

I am sure it is better during the week, but my experience on opeing weekend was pretty pleasant. I have a blog entry with a few details and a review of the exhibit.

http://www.dstreetdave.com/archives/...nal_galle.html
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi all! I finally went myself on a Monday afternoon following the Great Snow Storm of 2006. The place was pretty much deserted, and so my friend and I enjoyed the buffet at the museum's "Provencal Cafe" and saw the exhibit without lines or crowds. Since it was an unusual day, I asked the staff how the crowds had been and they said weekdays, especially in the afternoon, are definitely the least crowded, and Mondays (except for holidays, of course) are the best.

The exhibit is wonderful!! So great to see the evolution of his style and the effect of various influences. The drawings and watercolors were revealing too.