Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BEWARE: closure of I-95 in DC area this weekend

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM
bluestructure

If anyone is traveling I-95 esp northbound in the DC area this weekend, you may want to consider alt routes, I-95 north will be CLOSED for bridge construction and detours will surely back traffic up for miles and I'm sure this will include southbound traffic backups as well even if there is not detour going south.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0705/242685.html

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I-95 (Washington Beltway) Northbound
approaching the Woodrow Wilson Bridge into MD will go from four lanes to one lane for the entire weekend starting tonight. VADOT guestimates 60-90 minute backups which in the real world means 2-3 hours.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM

What you're saying is that there will hours of bumper to bumper traffic in the DC area. Based on the four times I've driven through there, I just want to know: what will be different this weekend? :^)
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:48 AM

The difference is, and I goofed on the starting night above, Friday night through Monday morning, only one lane will be open leading to the WW bridge. They estimate a 15 mile backup.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:59 AM
LN

This time, Paul, they know in advance that the Washington beltway will be standing still on the lower section.

Coming north on 95 you will not be allowed to get onto the Washington beltway at Springfield. It could create a nightmare of a backup. Bluestructure is trying to forewarn anyone heading our way.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Man, am I glad I signed up with Fodor's when I did!!

My family is traveling up to Boston this weekend for a business trip/rest of the family touring week in Boston. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM
bluestructure

You could get off I-95 at VA 207 (exit 104), which is just north of Richmond. Head east towards Bowling Green/Ft AP Hill where you will merge with US 301.

Follow US 301 NORTH towards Baltimore. Once you get into Bowie area, US 301 merges with US 50 heading towards Annapolis. You will want to continue north on MD Rt 3 which is a cut thru to I-97.

Once on I-97 NORTH towards Baltimore, you will want to take I-895 tunnel which would be the easiest and quickest way of going and that will end up merging with I-95 just north of Baltimore.

That would be safest bet in my opinion and if you look at a map, it'll all come together. Lots of people actually use that very same route. La Plata has 1 or 2 lights, Waldorf has several, some in Bowie/crofton areas but other than that traffic moves smoothly. Just watch out for commuter traffic on Rt 3 north between 4pm-6pm, its slow but only like 15 min delay.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM
blh

We will be arriving at DCA about l:00 pm on Sat. and driving to Rosslyn. On Sunday we had planned to drive to Mt. Vernon and then on to Alexandria for the afternoon. From there we will be driving up to Silver Springs area for the evening. Any suggestions on how to avoid this backup traffic? Should we scrap these plans for Sunday?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:48 AM

A couple of weeks ago I was in a backup on 95/395 from around Potomic Mills through the Springfield exits. Since I was headed into DC, I didn't have any problems after the 95/495 exits.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to do this on a regular basis.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Ebeth, where are you coming from?
The 301 in structions above are your best bet to avoid I-95. The Richmond paper has also done a story about this sitiation advising people to use 301, so even that will be jammed.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Thank heavens for Fodors! As I was perusing the US talk, I saw this. Friday, I am taking my daughter to Fredericksburg to college for a Saturday event. Since we are driving from NJ, we usually take 95 all the way down.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM

blh,
you can use the George Washington Parkway to get to and from Mt. Vernon, but traffic could be heavy on the return trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I was going to post a warning about this same thing, but bluestructure beat me to it!

That stretch of road can be a nightmare on a regular day, I can't even imagine how bad it will be this weekend!

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM

topping.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Ronkala, We will be coming from Greenville, NC. I haven't looks at a map, but Bluestructure's directions seems to be a likely passage. I am going to have my husband study it tonight! Thanks!!!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
blh, I wouldn't scrap your plans for Sunday. You can pick up the GW Parkway coming out of Rosslyn and take it all the way to Mount Vernon. You'll pass through Alexandria where the road name will change to Washington Street. It will change back to the GW Pkway at the south end of Alex and you will likely be able to see the nightmare called the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (but hopefully not too affected by it). Whatever you do STAY OFF of Rte 1 approaching the WW Bridge.

You can take the GW Parkway back through Alexandria to get to Silver Spring either by 1) following the Pkway all the way to I495 near the Maryland line, or 2) take the Pkway to I395 over the 14th Street Bridge and cut uptown through DC.

Option 1 might be a bit longer but is probably simpler.

Keep listening to the traffic reports on the radio for updates. We use 1500 AM WTOP.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:19 PM

WTOP is also available at 107.7 FM and is an excellent source for traffic news (every 10 minutes on the 8's).

Also, I know no one has suggested it here, but I want to strongly discourage anyone who believes that Route 1 will be a viable option. As a resident of Northern Virginia and a frequent traveller to and from NC, I can say that Rt. 1 is a MISERABLE alternative even in situations where the problem with 95/495 is not as great. And unfortunately, in that stretch of 95, there are not many parallel routes. (One Thanksgiving weekend, it took me over 3 hours to piece my way from Richmond to DC on the small Virginia backroads.)

Depending on how far south you are coming from and how far north you are headed, Interstate 81 in western VA is always an option.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM

KGH,
that's why I asked blh where they were coming from. I-81 would not be an option for them. The only salvation would be for it rain enough to cancel the paving, and onlt thunderstorms are predicted. Local DC newscasters are saying this is as bad as it will ever be.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM
LN

I use the US 301 route most often from Maryland thru Virginia and vice versa. But there is another way - I don't have a map in front of me but some friends take Rt 15 somewhere around Fredericksburg Virginia and cross into Maryland around Reston VA and then it can go further north nearer to Harrisburg Pa. Check to see if this would work as my friends have said that it'[s a good road and not slow.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM
bluestructure

Officials are suppose to be putting out radio ads on this major road closure this week to warn driver's.

The 11-year, $2.43 billion project is in its fifth year of construction. In two to four weeks, officials will reduce lanes and have similar closures on the inner-loop side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -