Central Georgia curiosity

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites! I'm doing some general research on Georgia and have enjoyed reading all of your travel advice and experiences. Has anyone traveled to Macon or more generally along the Antebellum trail? I would love to hear any feedback about Central Georgia--not necessarily specific places to stay, but just what you've liked or thought about the region, if you've been.

Cheers!

Annaoj
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM

In the western half of central Georgia, there is Providence Canyon State Park, which is a whimiscal "canyon" created our of the Georgia clay by erosion.

Nearby is Westville, a "town" made of buildings from the mid to late 19th century.

Andersonville Cemetery and Civil War prison site is a must see.

Plains, home of Jimmy Carter is in this part of the state.

The Little White House in Warm Springs, where FDR spent a lot of his time as President (and where he died) is between Atlanta and Columbus.

Nearby is world famous Calloway Gardens.

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, KE1TH. Have you been farther east, to Athens, Macon or Augusta--or any of the smaller places in between?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Last December, we stopped in Macon on our way north from Florida at a beautiful bed and breakfast called the 1842 Inn (which is beautiful). We didn't have a chance to spend too much time in Macon, but we have been hoping to go back soon. It has some beautifully restored homes, and the small downtown is beautiful, with nice restaurants and perfect for strolling. I wish we would have had at least one full day/night there and worth a stop, at least.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Near Eatonton:

http://tinyurl.com/j2dja

Roadside America lists these sites, some of which are in central GA:

http://tinyurl.com/jjo9o

This website has pictures of places visited in GA, some of them central:

http://tinyurl.com/j6gwm

And you might find other interesting information here:

http://tinyurl.com/ewx7a

As a displaced Georgian, I will be coming back to these pages before I plan my next trip "home."

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Hi Anna-
I live in Athens. It's a University Town (GO DAWGS!)Very nice little town, go 5 minutes out of downtown and you are in the country. We moved here 2 and a half years ago from Central New York State, and it really is a culture shock. While there's an "airport" here, it only flies USAIR and it costs an arm and a leg to fly into and out of, so we usually make the hour and a half drive to ATL. We've visited Macon and Augusta and there's really not much in between here and those towns, alot of farms.There is a plantation on Route 78 east going towards Augusta, but I've never visited it.Augusta is a nice town on the Savannah River and it has some very nice older homes, but it looks like it has seen better times. Macon (downtown) is also town that looks as if it has hit hard times. Don't get me wrong, we always have a good time when we are there and I'm not putting it down. There's a small town south of Athens, called Madison, that is just so quaint and pretty with alot of old homes that really look "antebellum". http://www.madisonga.org/ We always stop in Madison on our way to Macon.It kind of reminds me of a town back home in New York by the name of Skaneateles.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM

Macon is very nice . . . travel a bit further south to Warner Robbins, where there's a great museum at the Air Force Base; continue south to Perry - a cute little town. I just love the central GA area.