Kauai - car rentals (Alamo vs. Natl)

Nov 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Kauai - car rentals (Alamo vs. Natl)

Hi, is there a difference between Alamo and National in Kauai? I am getting the same rate for both of these companies.

Also, I will be in Kauai from Dec. 25 to Dec. 29- ended getting a rate of $195+ $40 in taxes for a total of $240. Is that a decent rate for a compact? It seeems like a little high to me but don't know if Xmas is pushing prices up.

thanks!
Nov 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM

Did you try here? We got a good rate thru them with Thrifty. (They ask for credit card # up front, but you don't pay until drop off.)

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
Nov 1st, 2006, 07:52 AM

I can't comment on Alamo vs. National, but for comparison we just (last week) paid $255 for a week with Avis.
Nov 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM

Soymilk
Just plugged your days in through Hotwire and came up with a total of $222.00 including all taxes. If I were you I would make a bid with priceline am sure you can end up getting it a lot cheaper. I booked a rental for one of my friends going for Thanksgiving 3 days for a convertible for $92.00. Hope this helps.
Nov 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM

Do they charge extra for the 2nd driver?
Nov 1st, 2006, 08:32 AM

Most places do not to say all. Heard of rear cases where they have not (never happened to me)
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM

Our confirmation when we used the above website had this language:

Discount Hawaii Car Rental Pre-negotiated Rate Benefits for your Thrifty
rental - the following fees are waived under our negotiated benefit package:
NO ADDITIONAL DRIVER FEES - Otherwise Thrifty charges approx. $6.60/day with
tax for spouse and other additional drivers.
NO YOUNG DRIVER FEES(ages 21-24) - Otherwise Thrifty charges $25/day.
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM

A couple of tips on renting cars here in Hawaii...

1) if you are on a tight budget, make sure you understand that you will spend up to another 1/4 of the price of your rental on taxes and fees, especially if you are picking up your car at the airport location. Following are the taxes you will pay on a rental car in Hawaii; 1)$3/day Hawaii surcharge, 2)4% Hawaii state tax, 3)11.11% airport tax, and 4)$0.60/day vehicle licensing fee (there may be another one or two on top of these, i.e. frequent flyer programs). So a $200 one week rental would end up being a total charge of $255.42, roughly 1/4 or 25% more than the rental charge itself.

2)check BEFORE you come to see if your personal car insurance covers rented vehicles. If it does you most likely won't need to purchase liability insurance for the rental car, which can get extremely high (the charge is almost like renting another vehicle). Many, many people do not prepare for this, and you will see them in line at the rental car office being asked if they want to purchase liability insurance. They will stumble through asking what it costs, the rental car agent tells them all the reasons they need it, and most of the time the person buys it (they will make you sign a waiver showing you declined insurance). People get understandably concerned when they consider they may have to pay for a rental they wrecked out of their own pocket, so instead...better safe than sorry...they purchase it. If you will find out before you come, and make darn sure your insurance covers rentals, then you can confidently decline, save a ton of money, and walk out knowing your are covered.

David
www.HowToDoHawaii.com
Nov 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM

Alamo and National merged several years ago and in many places you go to the same counter for both rentals. One tip I always give about renting cars, whatever brand you rent join their frequent renter club (National is the Emerald Club), its free, and have your membership number added to your reservation. When you get to the car rental location, you bypass long lines (in Hawaii particularly) and your rental contract is waiting, you show your license and go. It can save a 45 minute wait in line. Rental car locations in HI are particularly slow as they rent to a lot of infrequent renters who have to have every nuance of the rental contract explained to them and that takes a lot of time for each renter. As a member of the FRC you have made all of those decisions in advance.