Reload this Page >

Cell Phone Rental at Jackson Hole?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Lew

I will be traveling solo for 9 days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and think it would be a good idea to have a cell phone with me for emergency purposes. Anyone know if there are cell phone rentals in Jackson? And how is the reception in the Parks?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Dayle

Lew - there is basically NO reception in the parks. Cell phone towers aren't exactly natural. There is reception right in the town of Jackson, but other than that, none. You won't really need one anyway.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Lew

Thanks Dayle for your response, but I have learned that there is cell phone reception in the park, although not in all areas. As to your assurance that I don't need a cell phone, I sincerely hope your are right...but since I'm traveling solo, it would be helpful in case of car problems or a problem while hiking. So, I again ask if anyone is aware of any place in Jackson where a cell phone can be rented ?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:11 PM
lcuy

Lew- I agree...a cell phone can truly be a lifesaver if you get lost or hurt on your own.
I'd call the park service offices in the parks and personally ask the rangers which cell companies they use and how complete their coverage is. they will pobably give you the most honest answer. Once you know the best company (Sprint, verizon, voicestream, etc) you might be better off renting one or getting a prepaid cell from them in your hometown from them.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Jackson

Lew,

I think you will indeed have a problem with your cell coverage. Spotty at best in Jackson.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Trent

I hiked up and over the Paintbrush Divide about 6 weeks ago and was amazed that I could get cell service behind the Grand Teton. My carrier is Verizon. I have heard that other carriers coverage is not as good.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Karina

Out of curiousity, if you get lost hiking while in the parks and call for help, WHAT do you give them as your location?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
al

Unless you get one of those satelite link-up phones, you almost definitely will not get a good connection away from Jackson.

Do you realize how remote it is out here?