Casual Restaurants before and after theater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi My husband and I will be in NY in August. We have tickets for 3 Broadway plays (yes we got Spamalot tickets) and wanted suggestions for good, casual restaurants where we didn't have to really dress up too much. We are staying around Times Square. Pre theater restaurants and for the other two nights we are there, any suggestions. someplace fun would be nice. Mid price ranges. Thanks
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
jtp

Ruby Foo's is fun, upbeat and very good (asian) food (in the theatre district)
In Hells's Kitchen - Cascina, 647 Ninth Avenue (between 45th & 46th Streets)I think they have a web site - check out their menu - service, food, all outstanding --
Very casual, and very good John's (The one on 44th St. there are MANY John's this one I believe is 260 W. 44th --
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM

Pigalle is a great French bistro type restaurant on 8th & 48th. I'm not sure what the pre-theater atmosphere is like, but it is definitely busy post-theater.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM

I like Sam's on W 45th - between Broadway and 8th
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM

forgot to say for pre-theatre - good, casual, relatively inexpensive Italian -
though we often go back for drinks in the bar afterwards
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM

Regarding the recommendation for Cascina. It's a bit overpriced for what it is, but don't worry, you can get a discount coupon anywhere you look -- Playbill, advertisements, even download it off the internet so that you'll pay closer to what it's worth. My personal opinion is that anyplace that has to offer discounts so many places to attract business can't be very good. Add Broadway Joe's to that same list.

For fun, there is also Joe Allen's where, especially if you go after theatre rather than before you're bound to see a number of actors and show biz types. The former manager of that place has opened Angus MacIndoe's which is right next to the St. James (The Producers). It is jammed before theatre and a little more peaceful after. A step up from Joe Allen's.

There is literally no place you have to worry about dressing up (unless that means anything beyond cutoffs and a t-shirt). The only exception would be a place like LeBernardin, which is not a likely spot for pre-theatre, but rather for a full evening of exquisite dining on a non theatre night.

There are literally hundreds of possibilities. Want to give us a better idea of the exact type of atmosphere and food you're looking for?
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

We like Italian, Steaks, Asian. As for the atmosphere, no stuffy waitstaff that makes you feel like a tourist. Which we are, but that is besides the point A good Pizza place would be a bonus. As long as these place are not too far from times Square Thanks
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 09:33 PM

Everyone is providing suggestions in the heart of the theatre district, i.e., Times Square.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:04 AM

A couple of the standards that are not bad:

Cafe Un Deux Trois - tradiitonal brasserie - very good at geting you ut in time for the show

Trattoria del Arte - would do on a non-show night. Great anti-pasto, good food, los of fun, most of the wait staff are actors - and can be very amusing. (We had one do a Donald/Kiefer Sutherland impression - he even looked like them - that was so dead on it was hysterical.)
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Any suggestions in Little Italy, Chinatown or Soho?
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:55 AM
TC

Our favorite theater district restaurants are:
West Bank Cafe (407 W 42nd @ 9th Ave) great risotto and lamb among other things.
Hakata (230 W 48th St) for authentic Japanese.
Pongsri (244 W 48th St) for wonderful Thai.
Pigalle (790 8th Ave @ 48th) excellent French bistro.
Becco (355 W 46th St @ 8th Ave) good pre-fix menu.
Joe Allen (326 W 46th St @ 8th) is really a good place for post-theater lite fare and people watching.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:12 AM

i always reccomend manhattan chili company. great, fresh mexican food, great drinks, and it's way reasonable.
43rd & broadway. ;-)
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Here are three options that are far less "touristed" than most of the others mentioned: Taboon (hip-upscale but not at all dressy) on 10th Avenue and 52nd Street for Eastern Mediterranean, and for excelllent Thai in a no-frills atmosphere, either Wondee Siam on 9th Avenue and 53rd or Pam Real Thai on 48th between 9th and 10th. And for steak you can always rely on Palm. Soho is not really a great eating area anymore, in my opinion.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Oh, Taboon! Good recommendation, ekscrunchy. We ate there a little over a year ago when it was quite new and loved it. I can't believe I forgot all about it when we were staying at 51st and 9th this past month.