Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carmel/Monterey in June or later summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:21 PM
Tom

I'm planning a trip to the Monterey Peninsula this summer and am free to go pretty much any time. I've heard of California's "June gloom" but also of heavier crowds in July/August. Which time/month would you recommend?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:33 AM
George

September and Otober seem to be the preferred times. Best chance of hitting glorious weather, and the kids are back in school.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:15 AM
lynette

George is absolutely correct! Is fall an option for you? If you must go in summer, book your hotels now and stay in either downtown Carmel or Downtown Monterey so you can walk to attractions, the beach and restaurants. You will not want to get in your car each time you wish to go out. The traffic will be hard for someone being there for the first time.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:16 AM
uh-oh

... what is "June gloom"? We are planning a trip to this area first part of June -
thanks!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 09:34 AM
drew

The coastal summer weather pattern in California produces low clouds/morning fog/overcast which usually burns away by noon and may start forming again in the late afternoon or evening. Some days the coast will be "socked-in" all day - or for days at a time. It's cool and gray, maybe breezy, and can be quite chilling. Then again, there may be days in a row with little gray. This weather is typical from late May to late August (although going inland just a few miles could be sunny and warm/hot without so much as a clould all day.)

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:02 AM
uh-oh

thanks, Drew, for the info! will keep it in mind when making plans...

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:38 AM
Bob

We have a second home in the Monterey Peninsula area. Summer time in this area can be cool and foggy.

Many first time visitors expect California sun and swimming in the ocean. They end up in sweatshirts.

We enjoy the weather at this time of the year because it is a break for us from the heat in San Jose....only 65 miles away. The temperature drop in this 65 miles can be over 30 degrees.

Bottom line: Summer is fun here if you do not expect summer heat. The best time of the year is probably September through December. September and October are magnificent.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:27 PM
janis

Natives can always tell the summertime tourists in SF, Monterey and along the coast. They are the ones in shorts, blue legs, and brand new (emergency purchases) sweat shirts.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM
George

Aaahhh, Janis, right on the money. Yesterday I wore the sweatshirt I bought at Fisherman's Wharf in September last year. And yes, I might even have worn it (then) with shorts....

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:29 AM
mrs. ez

we were in monterey for historic car event last august and it was COLD especially at night....needed to buy sweater and shoes...too cold to swim so don't worry about hotel with a pool. stay in downtown carmel - very quaint and you can walk everwhere...we stayed at quail lodge - too far from everything...if you don't like cars DON'T go last week in august - crowded with car stuff and car geeks...maybe july would be good!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Diane

Tom: I grew up on the peninsula and have stayed in both Carmela and Monterey, but when we visit, we always stay in Carmel Valley just to be safe. That way, if it is foggy along the coast, you can escape a few miles inland to the warm sunshine. It is also a gorgeous drive. We like the Carmel Valley Lodge which is a small "inn". However, if you want something more upscale, the Bernardus Lodge is now open and looks nice. July, August, September and October are sure to be nice and warm in the valley.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:06 AM
lizbeth

Tom,
Go in June, the earlier the better, say the first week or so. You'll get a better chance of warm days and you'll be there before the peak of the summer season. Check to see if there are major events happening in Carmel or Monterey before you decide. I remember one time when I was trying to get lodgings and everthing was booked up due to one of the big horse shows in Pebble Beach.