Carmel hotels with ocean view

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:44 AM
mike

hi,
i'm just little confused as to how many hotels in carmel actually have good views of the ocean from the rooms...there seems to be tons of b&bs in the area but not that many of them mentioned about their environs..

can anyone also comment about the views from highlands inn? plus, can anyone comment on these rooms:

Partial Oceanviewi-level Suite or partial spa suite
vs.
ocean spa suites

thanks in advance!!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Susan

Very few pulic accomodations in Carmel actually overlook the ocean as most of the property on the ocean are private homes. If they have a view of the ocean it is because the rooms are on second floor and houses in front are have low roof lines. Highlands Inn, which is actually in the Carmel Highlands, does overlook the ocean because it is perched on the hillside above Highway 1. It has a magnificent ocean view from its resutaurants. I would suggest you contact the Inn to explain its designations. I would assume that only the ocean spa suites have unobstructed views.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:22 PM
lynette

Mike,

Search here on Pine Inn and La Playa, both are in Carmel and have unobstructed ocean views. Both are small hotels, not B and B's and I would recommend them highly. If you have specific questions, I will answer. Highlands Inn is not "in Carmel" it's in Carmel valley.

Lyentte

Lynette

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:39 PM
mike

thanks, susan & lynette..

lynette, i have heard good reviews of pine inn so i contacted them but was told that the suites do not have ocean view; i thought it's a bit strange b'c their website implies that they do...maybe some rooms have views but suites don't..any clarifications/suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

about highlands, i know they are about 5 miles from town but i heard their views are quite good, though on the expensive side..

btw, how crowded is carmel/monterey town in mid dec? i assume they should be a good number of visitors as weather ought be nice..

thanks...

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:03 PM
lynette

Mike,
Have you been to Carmel before? Carmel is a small city laid out in a grid. The shops and restaurants are almost all small and crowded. There are no parking lots to speak of, and often you find yourself or circling the s streets in an effort to find parking.

I prefer to stay at the Pine Inn or La Playa because they are both within walking distance of practically everything! Beach, theatre, shops, restaurants, library etc. They also have their own parking lots so you can park,no extra charge,for the entire time you're there! (Unless you want to head to Pacific Grove, Monterey, the Mission or Carmel Valley.)

If you stay in Carmel Valley, you will find yourself in your car a bit because you probably won't want to eat at the inn for every meal plus you'll need to drive to all attractions.

Will you be spending most of your time in the room? I've never stayed ina suite at the Pine, but I have stayed in an ocean view room, not sure what it was called though.

La Playa has wonderful views, especially room 408 I think, it is a corner room facing the ocean. ( Hope my memory is right.)

Both the Pine Inn have restaurants on site, and many to chose from nearby.

December should be clear and cold with quiet evenings, but busy days with all the shoppers on the roads and in the stores.

Have fun! (Sorry this post got so long!)

Lynette

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:56 PM
mike

lynette,
wow! that's a quick response! carmel is a first for me...everyone at work and this forum seems to prefer carmel over monterey. suites is probably the only option as i am bringing a family of 4...i heard about la playa too but i think their site is down for the time being..

does pine inn include breakfast? any restaurants you would recommend?
their proximity to town and parking availability are big pluses; about the cold weather, if carmel is about 45-50 i think i take that over nyc any day...

thanks for any suggestions..

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:18 PM
lynette

Mike,

Oh! Family of four!(How old are your kids?) That changes things! You DEFINATELY want to be in town, I would think! Great for quick clothes changes or naps! La Playa may not have a website, but they do have nice suites, although I believe they are on the ground level. In my opinion, you will be just blocks from the ocean and can taste it and smell it... no need to see it all the time! (But I've lived within a view of the Pacific for most of my life, so I do take it for granted.

La Playa (831)624-6476 (They do have a two bedroom unit, as well as some suites, also a few units with kitchens.

Normandy Inn (831)624-3825 Has suites and cottages.

Here are a few others to try, but I've never stayed at them, so I have no real knowledge of their property, other than location.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:26 PM
lynette

Mike, I'm tired and messing up... just wanted to add the Normandy and also some restaurant info. One of the fun things about Carmel is checking out menus and finding somewhere that looks good for "later." here are a few of my favorites: In Carmel, The Tuck Box, for clam chowder by the fireplace; The Covey at Quail Lodge for kinda fancy; and the best is "something" Napoli's right on Ocean Avenue just east a few blocks of the Pine Inn! (When you put your name on the waiting list, they walk you around the corner to their"wine cellar" where you sip on the house until your table is ready! It's fun to meet others and here about their day...all kinds of interesting people..just fun!) Katie's is great for breakfast and La Playa has a great bar, usually there are weddings on the weekend and it's fun to people watch! Cibo's in downtowm in Montery is another great dinner spot... they have live music most nights, sometimes jazz, sometimes reggae, sometimes country... always good and the food is super!

Happy planning!

Lynette

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:20 PM
jill

If you want a great ocean view, stay in Marina nearby. Not a full-service hotel, but oh what a view!

www.marinadunes.com

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:28 PM
mike

lynette, thanks for all the advice! tuck box sounds great...i have used the forum for a number of years for planning and it has never failed me..

actually i'm bringing my parents and brother early dec for a quick week trip to drive down the california coast (san fran to san diego); i know it's ambitious but we tend to move along @ a brisk pace, though any extensive hiking/walking would become tiring very very easily..

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:29 AM
lynette

Mike, I think the location of Pine Inn would be best for what you describe. Maybe you could get three ocean view rooms at a 'special price" since their suites don't have a view. It never hurts to ask! Most Carmel hotels have a two night minimum on the weekends. You'll have a great time!

Lynette Happy Thanksgiving!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 09:24 AM
lee

Carmel is great and I think you'll want to stay close to town so you can walk everywhere. There are several family style motels within walking distance of the town. I have some friends who prefer to stay in Monteray, but that city didn't do anything for my family. I not sure how important an ocean view room is. We were always out walking through town, on the beach, or driving the coastal highway, so we were never in our hotel anyway. Tip - most people seem to go down to the beach that's directly west of the town, accessed via the main street. It does have great views of Pebble Beach, etc, but we discovered a beach just south of town that was uncrowded but just as pretty. We walked through very pretty neighborhoods to get there. I think it is a city or state park. Can't remember the name of it.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Bob

PINE INN used to have winter packages that included vouchers for food. Be sure to ask about these. We used them in November one time.

If you want ocean views try the B and Bs of PACIFIC GROVE. GREEN GABLE INN or SEVEN GABLE INN. Or for a family outing try ASILOMAR, located on the ocean in Pacific Grove. No views, but great location for walking the beach.It was filled with families over Thanksgiving weekend.

Weather should be good. We live in the area and today is sunny, bright and perfect. Sure beats the snow!

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:41 AM
carmelmaven

TTT

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:09 PM
Terri

I think the best ocean view room is actually in Monterey, at the Monterey Plaza Hotel. Used to live there, but have stayed there a few times over the years. Just visited again a few weeks ago and it was fantastic -- the rooms are directly over the water and you fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Susan

Really can't help you make up your mind about where to stay in Carmel, we usually stay at the Mission Ranch on weekends or stay in a house for longer periods. After so many visits we are no longer concerned about the ocean view or being able to walk to shops on Ocean Ave. We just like to be close to Carmel River beach (the beach Lee was trying to remember) so that we can take an early morning walk and watch the sunset at night. In addition staying in southern Carmel (which makes Carmel sound larger than it really is) gives us quick access to Route 1. Mission Ranch overlooks the Carmel River and the ocean, but it is in the southern part of town which you may consider to be away from the "action" in central Carmel, such as it is. That is the problem with recommendations for Carmel, people visit with many different agendas and where you stay depends on what you want. I have friends who cannot image not staying in Carmel Valley at Quail Lodge because they like golf and spas; we go for the scenery at places like Point Lobos and only, go into central Carmel to look at one or two select galleries and to dine. All of the places mentioned so far, will serve you well no matter what you plan to do in and around Carmel.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Chuck

We were in Carmel about 10 years ago and I remember the Highlands Inn. Beautiful - great views.

We stayed next door at a great little motel - It was called The Pink Motel and everything in the place was pink! It was wonderful - talk about Deco Art. No view though. very reasonable, clean and lots of fun. Perhaps it is still there?