Search

Carmel Hotel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 01:02 PM
vsd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmel Hotel Recommendations

My husband and I are going to Carmel Dec 4-6 to celebrate my milestone birthday and I'm looking at Tally Ho Inn and Carriage House Inn. Tally Ho has balconies and views of the ocean which would be nice but Carriage House Inn also looks nice. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels and do you recommend them or do you have other hotels you can recommend. Thanks for your help.
t

Last edited by vsd; Sep 22nd, 2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: correct spelling in Recommendations in title
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 02:37 PM

We stayed at Tally Ho in March last year. Very nice - but I don't think all their rooms have ocean views. We stayed at their most expensive room (I think). Very spacious & nice ocean view - but no "whitewater" ocean views. We've visited Carmel many times - usually staying at the Coachman's Inn which is not as nice as the Tally Ho. At Tally Ho, breakfast was served next door at El Fornaio - which was a real treat.

We stayed at an AirB&B for 10 nights 2 weeks ago for our 50th anniversary - but it is a 5 min drive from Ocean Ave (see earlier post ).

Best meals:

First tier
Passionfish in PG
Fandango in PG

Second tier
Casanova in Carmel

Third tier
Anton & Michel in Carmel (twice, they have overcooked my medium-rare lamb)
Sardine Factory (for a nostalgia experience) in Monterey
Flying Fish in Carmel

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Sep 22nd, 2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 03:27 PM
vsd
Original Poster

Thanks Stu for your info re Tally Ho Inn and the list of restaurants. I went ahead and booked the Tally Ho Inn, room 108 which is the largest room (deluxe king suite) and the largest balcony and she said most requested room and we were able to get a "senior" rate. We have eaten at Passionfish in PG and loved it and definitely will look at the other restaurants you recommend. Thanks again for your help!

Dee Wilson
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 05:24 PM

A few places we enjoyed in Carmel.

Katy’s for breakfast.
La Balena and Cantinetta Luca.
Mission Ranch Restaurant.

Looking at Seventh and Dolores for our upcoming visit.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 08:55 AM

For more Carmel restaurant recs, we've recently enjoyed La Balena (outdoor only), Le Souffle (indoor only), Seventh & Dolores (indoor/outdoor), The Pocket (indoor/outdoor). Aubergine (not sure what they're doing currently), Akaoni (indoor only), Toro (indoor/outdoor) and Village Gem (but their chef just left to go back to Cantinetta Luca, indoor/outdoor). The new Dutch Door Donuts in Carmel Plaza is good and made to order. They sometimes close early due to running out of dough/lack of staff so try to go before 3pm. Rise+Roam bakery is good for other sweets, bread, pizza and a nice crab chowder. I'm not a huge fan of the food at Mission Ranch but we were on the patio on Tuesday and it was so beautiful.

The Bench at Pebble is still very good. In PG we went to Poppy Hall recently for their Monday night seafood/oyster menu which we liked. I've been wanting to go the Wild Fish but haven't had a chance. The chef at Seventh & Dolores said their fish & chips are better than his and his are really good. In Monterey we like Esteban. The restaurant at Hyatt Highlands has reopened for breakfast/lunch and their crab benedict is excellent. Staffing is still an issue so no dinner service. The food at Folktale Winery in Carmel Valley is good (better than their wines) and they have live music now. Lucia at Bernardus is still very good.

Places in Big Sur are slowly reopening and many have limited days of operation but we've had breakfast at Deetjens and lunch at Big Sur Smokehouse recently. Been wanting to eat at Big Sur Bakery but am never down there on the right day/time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 09:01 AM

I wrote a long restaurant post but it's in moderation. Everything else on the list has both indoor and outdoor seating and PG parklets will remain at least through the end of the year.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 11:25 AM

Patty, my prime rib at Mission Ranch was very good but I was probably just as captivated by the view there lol.

Toro and Sushi Heaven are two places were considering. Any preference between the two? Not a fan of Akaoni with their quirky owners. I prefer patronizing an establishment that appreciates my business, not one that acts as their doing me a favor, JMHO.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 11:42 AM

Ha ha! We've never had issues with Akaoni's owners but I've heard that from other people. We even get a "have a nice day" I haven't been to Sushi Heaven lately but I did think Toro was better.

I've never tried the prime rib at Mission Ranch. I find their shrimp cocktail to be overcooked even when I mention it ahead of time. The view is just gorgeous.

Pescadero has/had a nice brunch. However I'm not sure if they're continuing it off season.

The chilaquiles at Stationaery are good.

A new burger place and a new Mexican restaurant are supposed to open sometime later this year in Carmel Plaza.

Last edited by Patty; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 02:03 PM

I would have gone to Mission Ranch - but their web site indicated that they do not accept reservations. I'm too old to wait in lines.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 02:50 PM

Besides the no reservations policy Stu mentioned, when we drove away that night there was a sheriff’s car discreetly parked just off the property exit. Now I’m a one beer before dinner guy so no problem, but there were quite a few rollicking seniors at the bar that night. Hope they had a designated driver.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 03:44 PM

This has been a fairly quiet week. I was surprised Mission Ranch wasn't packed as we don't get many sunny days.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 05:42 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Thank you all for your restaurant recommendations. My husband and I like to eat outdoors as much as we can because of Covid so hopefully the weather will be nice in early December. I have lots of restaurants to look at. Thanks again.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by vsd
Thank you all for your restaurant recommendations. My husband and I like to eat outdoors as much as we can because of Covid so hopefully the weather will be nice in early December. I have lots of restaurants to look at. Thanks again.
Don't count on it.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:19 AM

The Pocket still has a canopy over part of their patio. Rise+Roam, Lucia at Bernardus and California Market at Highlands have permanent cover over their outdoor seating areas. Most places have heaters.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 04:50 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Okay,thanks Patty. We will be sure to pack jackets and sweaters and hope for the best!!
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:41 AM

My experience with outdoor dining in Carmel. It was late March and we made last minute dinner reservations on a rainy, chilly evening. We arrived and were ushered to the outdoor covered patio for seating as all the indoor tables were full.

There were several heaters around our table but it was not an enjoyable, relaxing dining experience. We ordered, ate quickly and left. Food and service were good as usual but I would not choose to do it again under those circumstances. Even with the heaters and jackets it was cold.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 03:51 AM

Thank you StuDudley for the hotel recommendation in Carmel. The Coachman is not available for the night I want, but I really like neighborhood around it, so I will chose a hotel close by.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 02:02 PM

breakfast at mission ranch

we have been in monterey for months and have discovered that, for whatever reason, Mission Ranch is almost empty at breakfast. that has become our go to s[ecial breajfast spot.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 06:02 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Thank you youngtom2910. We will have to try Mission Ranch for breakfast!!
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 11:40 AM

Weekday breakfast (to the public) is fairly new (since the pandemic) so not that many people know about it.