Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carmel Hotels -- Quail Creek Lodge, Carmel Valley Ranch or Monterey Plaza?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My search narrows but still not convinced with hotel in Carmel area. Need help deciding between: Quail Creek Lodge, Carmel Valley Ranch or Monterey Plaza all lowest end rooms. Will use as a base to explore area, Big Sur and Hearst Castle (long drive -- will take 101 -- but hate to keep switching hotels) 2 adults and 2 teens. Most hotels and inns in Carmel seem worn and old. Other option: stay at Hilton Garden Inn in Monterey? Help please.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM

I suggest you look into the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel Highlands. Its right off Highway 1. The views are worth it. Make sure you get a top floor room as its much quieter.
Look into the reviews on tripadvisor.com

This is a better base for exploring Big Sur as further south of the other inns you listed.

Will
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM

May I add a comment....this is just my input....being that my family is also looking for a room in Carmel for two adults and two teens. We will be traveling in July.

Can John Q. public truly afford to spend close to $400 a night for the Tickle Pink Inn? I am just soo surprised at the number of people who recommend this place and the number of people who have stayed there.

My husband and I make a decent living, but as a nurse on the East Coast and my husband working for a utility, we simply can not afford to spend that amount on just lodging!!! I guess we are in the wrong professions....and it bothers me that we are not able to give our children the opportunity to rest their head in a decent hotel unless we want to pay $400!!!

I don't want to stay in some worn out place...I am willing to pay a fair price, but I think some the hotels assume that everyone is a CEO or something. What about the hard working public....should I tell my children not to be nurses....you can't pay for $400 a night rooms on $50,000 a year?

Let's see if we took a 7 night vacation, the room alone would be around $3000.....more than my mortgage by far.

This is not anything personal against this establishment, as there are several other hotels in the area that are in that price range. I am just making the point that people in the "average salary" range are being shut out.....it is not worth it to be a public servant and then when it comes time to vacation and enjoy yourself, you end up in worn out and tired accommodations!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM

Amen!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM

The Monerey Plaza Hotel would be perfect for you, traveling with your teens. This property is in a great location, walking distance to the aquarium and Cannery Row and has two great restaurants and many nice amenities, pay the extra fee to use the spa facilites, they have two bromine jacuzzis, it is a rooftop spa in the Penthouse level with panoramic views of the ocean. Love the Plaza! ***kim***
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
moo
Original Poster

I totally agree w/whynotgotooh. As you may have missed,I am considering the lowest end in the price range of these places and traveling in the off season which gives me a further price break. The reason for the inquiry is that I am very conscious about making a good decision based on input from those who have experienced the place, trying to get the most bang for my buck. But I TOTALLY agree with your point. When I saw the Tickle Pink reply, while thankful for the input, was very discouraged with that hotel choice based on the fact that the price per night is extremely high. While we would like to be close to the sites in these areas, sometimes the newer, cleaner and more responsive highway hotel chains are more economical.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
moo
Original Poster

Thanks Kim! Now that is the type of reply for which I am looking: someone who has been there and reasons why it is a bad or in this case good choice. Thanks again. P.S. Anyone have an opinion on Quail Lodge or Carmel Valley Ranch for comparison?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM

Isn't Carmel Valley Ranch quite expensive? Well, nice as it may be - it is off the beaten path for your needs. Monterey Plaza is ideal for a family and the itinerary you plan. I don't know Quail Creek - is that the same as Quail Lodge? Too boring for kids.

My friend wrote this article about Tickle Pink that appeared recently in the Chronicle. It would be a terrible place for kids. You are really stuck and can't walk anywhere, although the view of the ocean is super.
http://tinyurl.com/2way3n
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM

I would think that all the places mentioned are not cheap. I was just in Monterey over the weekend and The Monterey Plaza is in a great location as kimamom stated.

There are reasonable places to stay in the area. The Hilton Garden Inn is nice. Also try the Holiday Inn (on Reservation Road).
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
moo
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion, it is Quail Lodge. Actually, through March, both CV Ranch and Quail Lodge are less expensive than Monterey Plaza. I like the valley aspect of them (warm temps) but you are probable correct -- teens may enjoy Monterey better. Now . . . my two options for room at Monterey Plaza -- Cannery Row view or Garden view? Ocean view WAY too expensive for just sleeping in the room. Please advise.
P.S. came up with still another option CARMEL MISSION INN. It is south of town near Barnyard Mall. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM

I have stayed at all the places that you mentioned. All are great. The Plaza rooms and location are prefect for exploring Monterey. I would suggest the Cannery Row rooms,as you can get a peek view of the ocean. I have stayed at the Carmel Mission Inn and would not suggest it. Have you tried the Portolla Hotel?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM

The Tickle Pink starts at $250 a night.
You may want to look into the Tally Ho Inn right off Ocean Ave in Carmel.
Its just been renovated and its very affordable.

Will
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM

I've been trying to formulate a helpful response to the OP, but I just get more confused. There is not much new hotel or motel construction going on in older areas like Carmel and Monterey; these two towns are also not on a major highway. So there's no point in being resentful about the dearth of newer chain motels--that's just the way it is. Furthermore, why do you say that newer chain motels located off interstate highways are "more responsive"? There's a weirdly angry vibe in this thread that makes me give up before I begin.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
SAB

I like the Mission Ranch for a reasonable place in Carmel--it is not worn or old in my opinion. It has the advantage, to me, of being in South Carmel with easy and quick access to 1 and it is a lovely location without enormous prices.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
moo
Original Poster

Thanks Will, truly appreciate the info and your efforts. I know we will land somewhere and what is not to love about the area and the chance to show the teens some beautiful country. Looked at Portolla resort but we fair better in two queens rather than 2 doubles.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM

Regarding the comment that the Tickle Pink Inn starts at $250---according to the website that room would be in the OFF season. And that room only has 1 king bed, so not exactly what the original writer was looking for--2 adults and 2 teens. The $250 is the lowest end and as we all know that is available on a limited basis during a small window of the year. Let's be real here.

As far as the Tally Ho, the deluxe king suite in July is $329 and this again does not meet the needs of the original writer. That hotel recommends you get two queen rooms at $189/night, so you would be spending $378!!!

I may have to rethink my plans of staying in Carmel....it just doesn't seem possible!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM

Check this out... http://www.greenlanterninn.com/index.cfm/room_rates.htm

Our family stays in the Maple room $179-199. Nice place that includes breakfast & afternoon snacks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM

My family stayed at the Quail Lodge last summer and really enjoyed the room, large patio and the grounds. We found it to be very relaxing-and the weather in the valley was better than in Carmel proper. The Carmel Valley Ranch has changed since we last stayed. It has become condos of some sort... but years ago when we stayed the rooms were huge - with bedroom and large living room. I would also look at the Portola Plaza hotel in Monterey. We have enjoyed staying there and you can walk to just about all of Monterey. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM

Yes, your teens might like Monterey better - ours did. We stayed in 3 different places when exploring the big sur coast for a week or so - in monterey, pacific grove and cambria.

You might want to check out the Holiday Inn Express in Monterey on Wave Street. Its not the typical HI Express design, but more resembles a boutique inn. Its essentially across the street from the waterfront so you can walk to everything. If we twisted our heads we could see the ocean from our third floor room.

Our 'standard' room was a nice size and had 2 queens AND a sofa bed. The rate was very competetive, altho we got one of the two nights free with points.

The rate also includes their free, stand HI Exp breakfast and also a wine-cheese reception every evening.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM

Th HI Express is in a good location for your kids and walking, although I haven't stayed there. It's a noisy area to me.

Our kids really loved it when we stayed at Asilomar (www.visitasilomar.com) because you are right on the ocean, the architecture (Julia Morgan) is wonderful,it's comfortable. Probably still no tv, but the main lodge has pool tables and ping pong and it's got a great lodge feel. There's a pool, often unused and you get a full breakfast in the dining room. The grounds are huge. You will still have to drive a short distance for your activities, but it is worth it. We've stayed in all the various types of lodging, once even had 4 twin beds! It was great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -