Carlsbad, CA in March

Search

Carlsbad, CA in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carlsbad, CA in March

I'm thinking about taking my 5 year old son to Carlsbad for a week in March. Last year we stayed in La Jolla and loved it, but this year I'm looking for more low key, less traffic, easier to get around, and close to Legoland. We'll probably spend our days at Legoland, the beach and maybe take the train into San Diego one day. Would Carlsbad be a good place to stay? Is the town small enough that we could do without a car most/all of the time? Any recommendations on places to stay for under $200 a night (need a fridge and microwave at least, balcony with view would be great)? Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM

Carlsbad is easy to get around without a car- coaster train has 2 stops there-
I have always wanted to stay at the Beach Terrace Inn because its the only one right on the beach - it might be over $200 a night though

Cute downtown area with shops and restaurants- nice beach,
One of my favorite places
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM

Just returned from Carlsbad as family moved down there. All the little towns around that area are cute and charming. Very low key little town. Not sure if you could do without a car. We stayed at the Ramada but it was NOT on the beach but it was very cheap! under $60.00 and it had refrig, and microwave and breakfast every day. It was right off 5 and Poinsettia. Really nice pool and hot tub but you had to drive to the beach which was but a very short ride. Since I was visiting family, I didn't need a car so I actually took the "coaster train" down to Carlsbad and loved it - $6.00 one way. Caught the bus at the airport ($2.50) which took me to the Sante Fe Train Station got off at the Poinsettia station and walked about 15 minutes to son's house.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM

Its actually pretty easy to take a bus around Carlsbad
Daughter used to live off of Poinsettia - we just walked to the beach ( a couple of blocks)
Sounds like she might have lived close to where Shars son lives
When she was working, I figured out how to take a bus from downtown Carlsbad out to her place-

I too used the coaster to get to the airport- works pretty slick
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM

I think for a week in March you would need a car. (In summer it would be different if you were spending your time on the beach as I always do - 50 consecutive summers in Carlsbad). Beach terrace is a good choice if you need to see the beach. Downtown is an easy stroll from there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM

Carlsbad might look small on the map, but its a busy place. Palomar Airport Rd is a zoo, and I really wouldnt want to be dragging my toddlers on the local bus system.

I'd get a car
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM

If you want a nice place to stay with a young child I would recommend Coronado. It has an island feel. You can bicycle from one end to the other in less than 30 minutes. There is a friendly downtown area which is wonderful for walking and window shopping. The old Hotel Del Coronado is a wonderful walk thru the past (having been built in the 1880's). The beach is consistently one the best 10 beaches in the US and world list. There is a wonderful public library, public pools, nice parks, and a wonderful small protected bay where you can do boating activities.

You wouldn't need a car if you were in Coronado, but you could rent one for a day or two if you wanted to take a day or two to go up to Legoland. Carlsbad is about 40 minutes north of Coronado.

Coronado btw, is only about 10 minutes from Balboa Park, and the Zoo, & downtown.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

We ended up getting a condo in the La Costa area. I found it on vrbo.com. We definitely needed a car!