carlsbad

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 03:30 PM
helen

carlsbad

Hi there:
Has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons Resort Aviara or the La Costa Resort in Carlsbad? If so, please let me know the negatives and the positives!
Thanks,
Helen

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Me

New Mexico? If you are going to the caverns there Carlsbad the town is about 20 miles each way, if you have a pet, leave it in the motel room. We stayed at the Days Inn and were very happy.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:06 AM
sd

I've stayed in both on business trips. Although I currently live in San Diego now. Here's my review.

Aviara
Positives
-4S service, quality,
-awesome golf course ($175/round though)
-good pool area

Negatives
-In the middle of the suburbs
-Too far from the beach (2 miles driving) to be a beach resort
-Isolated with nowhere to walk to unless you want to see So Cal cloned suburbs
-Lack of decent restaurants in the immediate area
-Lack of decent shopping in the area unless you consider the Carlsbad Outlet mall decent
-If you want to go south to see the sights in SD you'll be stuck in bad traffic trying to get there and back

La Costa is very close to 4S abount a mile or two away with the same negatives and the addition of not have the same quality or service as 4S. They have a lot of rooms that you park right outside of-like a motel.

Positives are
-PGA Tour golf course (tw0 courses)
-Better Spa
-More tennis courts

Unless you're a golfer there are other better places to stay and enjoy San Diego. Or go north and Stay at the Ritz Laguna Beach which I think is nicer, more romantic and has better proximity to restaurants, shops in Laguna.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:13 AM
helen

Hi there:
Thanks, I appreciate your response, I wanted something closer to the beach, and 5 star quality, any suggestions?
Thanks!
Helen

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:14 AM
xxx

Hotel Del Coronado

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:09 PM
x

hotel del coronado
hyatt on coronado
there some nice ones in del mar but you'd have to do a search
laguna beach is another good suggestion

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Melissa

L'Auberge in Del Mar by far the best! The Lodge at Torrey Pines is also beautiful and brand new! I'm not sure about beach acess but there is a great ocean view...it's on the cliffs by the Torrey Pines golf course

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:43 PM
sd

San Diego doesn't have true 5 star beachfront hotels other than the Hotel Del which some may argue that it is more a 4 to 41/2 star hotel. Some of the older rooms are small (quaint victorian type) compared to a typical 5 star and the service is not quite 4S but it is up there and better than your Hyatts, Loews. It's the best beach resort in terms of just walking out on the sand from the property and has an enormous pool. And the Coronado beach is huge so it can never get really crowded.
Other top end beach properties are La Valencia (La Jolla Cove area), L'Auberge (1 block from Beach in Del Mar), Loews Coronado (across a highway with underground walkway to Silver Strand State Beach). La Valencian and L'Auberge are more high end "Botique" Hotels with great service. I like the La V location though- right in the Heart of Downtown La Jolla and next to the Cove where you can snorkel or swim. they just built out new suites/bungalows and they look awesome.
Otherwise consider Laguna Ritz which is on a small cliff overlooking the beach ocean with a beautiful access trail down (200-300 yards).
Other posters may recommend Pacific/Mission Beach but if you're looking for 5 star quality you won't like the area which is mostly geared towards young kids and Arizonans looking to party and get away from the heat.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:32 PM
ann

stayed there a year ago, but not on our own $$, my spouse won a company contest, and it truly is one of the best hotels i've ever stayed in. The room and service were exceptional. True, the location is not perfect, but I would stay there again for a weekend retreat in a heartbeat! If I had the money, that is! Somebody mentioned the Ritz Laguna Niguel being nicer above -- not so, at least when comparing hotel rooms (larger, more luxurious) and a more relaxing ambience.
Let us know which you choose, and give us a review! Thanks!