Where to have our LA beach holiday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my last thread we have decided on a 4-5 stay in Laguna mid-August.

Any recommendations?!

As we are visiting for 4 weeks, we have a pretty tight budget to work towards - so budget to mid-range is more our favoured option - although value for money is what we're after...

The credit-card could also be bought into play if necessary as its a little treat at the end of a long trip...

Any suggestions on places to stay...condos to rent...whatever really?

It's 5 days in August - though we can spread this over a long-weekend or mid-week - what's recommended!?

We wil have a hire car - so could even travel further afield if San Diego is a more viable option - we will have driven PCH from San Fran - Santa Barbara and onto Laguna - so we thought on south as opposed to north california...

Thanks again...
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM

It depends on many things. I love the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel but there are many other places that can suit different desires.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Laguna is a very nice choice for pretty scenery, good hotels and restaurants and shops. Pricey, though, for the most part.

You could perhaps find more affordable lodging at Newport Beach or Huntington Beach, just north of Laguna. Newport's Balboa Island is fun to explore (on foot), lots of lovely 'cottages', shops and restaurants.

All good choices, depending on your budget.

With all the driving you're doing, I wouldn't think it's necessary to drive down to San Diego, unless you want to in particular.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're not going to visit San Diego at all, then you should come down here. It's the second largest city in California, one of the oldest cities in the State, home of the first of the California Missions, the San Diego Zoo, Seaworld, and home of OMBAC rugby!

http://www.ombac.org/ombac_rugby/
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
lvk

Have you looked at the vrbo.com website? This may be a more affordable and convenient option than staying in a resort/hotel. You can also save some money by preparing your own meals.

Once you find a few places along the coast within your price range and with availability, you can come back to ask us about the desirability of the location.

Oh, and please, Laguna is not in L.A. (nor is Anaheim). It is located well behind the "Orange Curtain".
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Since you are planning to be in Laguna and on a budget, I would not suggest either the Ritz Carlton which is a lovely resort hotel but far away from the Laguna scene. Nor would I suggest Newport or Huntington beach, as again, you'll be facing Pacific Coast Highway summer traffic, which is heavy.

Here is a website for Laguna Beach hotels: http://www.lagunabeach.com/hotels.html

The hotels are categorized by Economy, Modest, Historic in addition to Luxury and Pet Friendly, and rentals. There is a discount offered at most hotels for mentioning Laguna Beach dot com pricing.

The links will allow you to check out prices and photos of the properties. Laguna hotel prices differ quite a lot depending on season (you'll be in high season) and view.

Since you're on a budget, I would forgo the view rooms, and plan on spending time walking along the beautiful Heisler Park ocean front.

I have stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach, the Hotel Laguna, La Casa del Camino, Best Western Las Brisas, Vacation Village. All were fine, with a few drawbacks, but with a lot of charm as well. I usually pay under $150 per night, and it seems rooms are cheaper now with the economic crunch.

There are cheaper hotels, and most of them seem fine to me, but they are basic and for some people might seem creepy. You may want to inquire about noise, as some street side rooms are noisy, while others have better sound proofing.

There is a shuttle bus which runs during the summer, but it's crowded, so I like to be walking distance from the downtown area.

Some places charge for overnight parking ($10-15) and other places are free, so ask about that when figuring your nightly cost.

The main beach is kind of torn up right now, so it doesn't look as beautiful as usual.

In Laguna Beach I like the Sawdust Festival, the Pageant of the Masters, the movie theater in town, the art museum, Crystal Cove and exploring other beaches. The first Thursday of the month is an art gallery evening with lots of snacks and chat with interesting artists. The architecture and overall artistic charm of the city makes exploring rewarding.

Daytrips or half day trips might include Balboa Island or the beach in Corona del Mar (short drives if no traffic), or San Diego if you are up for a full day of sightseeing.

Laguna Beach can be quite affordable as it is at heart an artist community. If you paint or take photos you will feel like a local.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM

You might find better availability and pricing during the week rather than on a weekend.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM

For your splurge, consider a night at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, a spectacular oceanfront resort with amazing rooms, restaurants, pool, etc. We have also enjoyed stays at the Laguna Reef across the street from the Montage and the Casa Laguna Inn, a quaint little B&B with great breakfasts and personalized service. Have fun! ***kim***