Car rental with GPS in L.A.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks in April in L.A. sounds great - but I'll need to rent a car with a GPS. My only past experience involved a defective GPS, so I'm a bit hesitant. Any suggestions on good deals, or anything to avoid? It seems you can only get a GPS on an airport rental - true?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM
J62

With the price of GPS so low these days you could buy a good, basic unit at home for much less than the price of a rental.

One two week trip and it'd pay for itself and you'd have it for keeps.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:41 AM

I agree. You should buy one. We love our TomTom ONE. It is very easy to use and has everything we need. They sell now for around $150 new, or I found one refurbished at Tiger Direct for $80.

http://www.tigerdirect.com

If you buy your own you will open your rental car options tremendously, plus our TomTom ONE has a walking setting that works great for walking around a city. It got us back to our hotel several times in Boston and the walking route was truly different from the driving route as it took us through a lovely park that was closed to cars.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Hi Kathyrn,

I travel for business weekly and I often use the Hertz Neverlost when in a new city. My company deals with Hertz so that is the company that I am most familiar with.

You don't have to rent at the airport to get a GPS. If you check the Hertz website, and look at specific off airport locations, you will see which additional items are offered at each location.

If you choose to rent a car with GPS, you may already know that you can save some cash off your rental by choosing an off airport location. The Neverlost is very easy to use and is invaluable to someone like me who has a terrible sense of direction. I also travel alone so I have no help in navigating. I really like the Neverlost, especially for first time users.

The other option is to buy your own GPS. Last year, I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 350 and have used that quite a bit, especially on vacations. I like the fact that it has "spoken street names" - a big help when in a strange area. The benefit of this option is that you could use this GPS at home before you travel so that you are comfortable with it, and of course that you will have it for future travel. I found the best price for this product at walmart.com and used store delivery to avoid shipping charges.
Good luck with your trip!
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I did end up buying a Garmin at home, before I left. while I'm sure it does all sorts of things that I never used, it got me around L.A. and to all sorts of parks for hiking, too. A good investment!
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM

Kathy, we did something similar, and I'm so glad we did - picked up a Garmin Nuvi 1250 from Costco when my daughter was driving to and in LA by herself, then used it in Canada, NY, will use it in Colorado next week, and in New Orleans next month, etc. I agree, great investment!
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM

Sorry, Kathryn (not "Kathy").
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM

Am I the only remaining person that like paper maps?
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM

I like paper maps. But I use Google Maps and a GPS navigator in addition as appropriate.