global positioning

Search

global positioning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
global positioning

We will be visiting from the USA and driving through Germany and Austria in November. We are planning to bring a portable GPS for the rental car. Do any of you have recommendations about a GPS system? Most of what I can find is about US maps. Is there a particular manufacturer or model that has software especially suited for western Europe (up to date road maps and such)?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM

I like the Microsoft AutoRoute program. Before I leave home, I can plot my routes on a large screen; in the car, either driver or navigator can track progress on a small laptop with a medium-sized screen; to go walking, the maps can be downloaded to a handheld device running Pocket Streets.

The software gets its position information from a "Locator" that plugs into a USB port. This costs about $50 when bundled with the program.

The maps are updated continually, so detours and changes in routes are always current, and when new navigation features are implemented by Microsoft, it's unnecessary to throw away the computer - because the latest version can be bought for $40. That's less than a week's rental from a car agency. There's lots of information here: microsoft.com/autoroute
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM

Hi
Have you considered renting a GPS system from the car rental agency?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM

Both Magellan and Garmin (among others) have models with european maps which can either be loaded in or unlocked.

I would also suggest you at least consider using a rental agency unit although that has the possible disadvantage of your getting a unit you are totally unfamiliar with.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. It may be that my better half is just looking for an excuse to buy a GPS and so might want one to use both in the US and in Europe. But I just checked rates at Avis and cars with GPS are only about $40-$60 more per week, not bad. But with the rental car we won't know exactly what system the car will have until we get there. I think I'd like to get something ahead of time and try it out first.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks also for the info on Microsoft. I have seen lots online about Garmin, TomTom and Magellan but I didn't think of Microsoft. That might be okay, as we'll have the laptop and the passenger can be navigating. I will check out the microsoft link. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM

I just got an email newsletter from the Travel Insider with some good info on using these devices in other countries. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/gps...ationalgps.htm

I'm looking to buy one of these soon and it appears that the map issue could be important. Some maps only cover the main roads and not the smaller towns & villages, which is where you would really need them the most. At least that's where we get lost the most.