Car Rental - Near NYC

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Ted

Car Rental - Near NYC

Hello Fellow Fodorites,

I need to rent a car for Memorial Day weekend to drive from NYC to Boston. I live in Manhattan but don't want to pay Manhattan prices. I've heard about people taking Metro North to points north and renting up there. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Duger

Try Enterprise out of either Stamford or Bridgeport. They will pick you up at the train station. 1-800-rent-a-car

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Ted

Excellent. Thanks.

Any other options, just in case Enterprise is booked?

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:45 PM
thereuare

If enterprise is booked, take the bus/train to Newark Airport and rent from an airport location. Due to competition, rates are usually decent and/or coupons can be found (or u could always bid on Priceline).

Just be sure to get unlimited milage (or enough to get you to Boston and back) AND make sure the rental agreement allows you to take the car out of the tri-state area.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Philip

Metro-North & Hertz have teamed up for a deal. Call Hertz and mention CD number 1181276 and you'll receive 10% discount on Standard Rate.

Purchase your Metro North Ticket to North White Plains, Poughkeepsie or Stamford or New Haven and tell them you want the Metro North/Hertz discount package. You will receive a rail ticket that is stamped with Hertz on it which you present at the car rental location.

The entire plan is explained in a brochure "One Day Getaways" put out by Metro North which you can pick up at Grand Central or call 212-532-4900.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Ted

Great info! Thanks!

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Ted

What's the best Metro North station to use in terms of driving from that station to Boston?

Old May 20th, 2002, 05:37 AM
gab

Closer than Stamford is Hoboken. I need a car for two weeks in August, so I rented from Hertz's Hoboken location, a total savings of over $400 for the two weeks. I believe there is also an Enterprise there. You could take the PATH train or a bus from the Port Authority.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:23 AM
amy

Ted,
Stamford has a hertz and i think also an avis. when you get off the train it is on the same side toward the back. less than a 2 minute walk, in fact it is in the same lot as the train station. when i lived in NYC and would head up to hyannis i used to take the express train to stamford (approx. 40 minutes) and rent from there. also you are then a minute from I95. other bonus is you can return in the city with no additional fee!

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:36 AM
What's UP

Is this the same "Ted" who thinks a 25% tip on a gross restaurant tab okay? Let me guess, the restaurant is on the corporate account and the car rental is on your account. LOL.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Ted

Amy, that's perfect. Just what I needed to know.

Yep, it's the same Ted. And it's all on the personal account. Restaurant employees need every penny; Hertz does not.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Ted

Done. Thanks.

I went w/ Hertz at the Stamford Metro North station (thanks Amy). I did save 10% (thanks Philip). I can drop off the car in Manhattan on Monday for a mere $2 extra, just a few blocks from my apartment. I saved 50% renting in Stamford as opposed to Manhattan.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:55 AM
amy

Ted,
Glad I could help. Enjoy your weekend in Boston and drive safely!
Phillip,l good tip on the train/rental discount!

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Ted

Amy, one more question. What will it be like driving into Manhattan on Monday evening? Will it be a complete nightmare?

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:22 AM
amy

ted,
driving into NYC after a holiday weekend is usually a nightmare. i have found that the later in the evening it is, the better. by 10pm traffic would lighten up for the last 50-60 miles so i would plan on spending monday in boston and drive back later int he evening and get dinner on the road. 95 is always rough. traffic usuallys is bad once you hit bridgeport when traveling south and continues into the FDR. try taking the merrit (15) from new haven into the hutch and 87 to the city, unless there is construction.

at one point i looked into returning the car to stamford and getting back on the train for the remainder of the trip. the one glitch was the stamford car rental closed much earier than the ones in the city.

hope this helps!

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Tedt

Yep, the Stamford Hertz office is closed all day on Monday, so that won't work. We must return the car in Manhattan (East 90th Street) by 10PM.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:30 AM
lena

If you're just going to Boston consider taking a train or a bus. It would be less hassle and less expensive too probably.

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:42 PM
amy

hertz offices around 39th and 3rd (by midtown tunnel) were open till midnight. dont know if they still are but if so, it can give you another 2 hours to get in.

the new high speed amtrak train (the acela) seems pretty cool, ive heard its a very smooth ride although rather pricey...

Old May 20th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Ted

Of course I'd prefer to take a train, but we need a car (visiting friends on Saturday in the suburbs). Also, train tickets were $150 apiece; car rental is actually much cheaper than 2 Amtrak tickets.

Old May 24th, 2002, 08:05 AM
ann

We reserved a full size car from Hertz thru AAA for $340/wk, including all taxes. We'll pick up in mid-town Manhattan and drop off in Norfolk, VA (1 week vacation to DC and Williamsburg). Could I get this cheaper by renting from the airport? The hitch is 5 of us would need to travel to airport to pick up car on our way out of NYC. I thought the rate was reasonable given we were dropping car off so far away from original location.