Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for discount car rental between NYC and Quebec?

Notices

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My family and I are planning to rent a car this July in NYC and drive to Quebec, Canada but I'm only finding rates from Hertz and they are pretty pricey. I've tried most of the other companies I've heard of but am wondering if anyone has any brilliant suggestions. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked on Travelocity, etc.?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every single major car-rental agency has many outlets in Manhattan, but the problem is that you have to pay about $89 per day plus taxes.

I am renting a car this weekend from North White Plains (Hertz) for about $52 per day, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Otherwise, there are no "discount" rentals from NYC. A lot of people find it's cheaper to rent from an airport location (either LaGuardia or Newark .. NOT JFK), but I'd urge you to check the North White Plains outlet for Hertz. The train fare on Metro North is about $6 each way, so it's a huge savings with little trade-off. I actually like the location because this way I don't have to drive into and out of Manhattan.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wherever you rent, check the company's policies on taking a vehicle across the border. Some rental agencies impose heavy penalties if you drive into Canada without prior authorization in your rental agreement.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to look into renting a car in Stamford, Connecticut.

A quick check on Orbitz showed the price for a week in July around $230 for a midsize versus $580 in Manhattan for the same period.

Stamford is an easy train trip from Grand Central via Metro North.

If you wanted the easiest route from Stamford you could backtrack south for about 10 miles and take the Saw Mill Parkway north. You can cross the Hudson near the Bear Mountain Bridge. (there are some backroad alternatives that take you on a more northwesterly route towards a Hudson River crossing.)

Alternatively, you might want to check rental locations in White Plains, NY as that'll be an easy point to stop on your trip north.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://nymag.com/nymetro/travel/features/471/

http://nymag.com/bestofny/fun/2008/halfcar/

Agree you need to double and triple check about taking cars into Canada. Frankly, you might want to rethink this. I've heard driving a rental car over the border subjects you to a lot more searching.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You won;t find discounts from car rentals in NYC in the summer. Many people here don;t have cars -a nd so rent then each weekend to go to the beach/country of take on vacatrions. Summer prices are the highest - and $89 will get you the smallest car there is.

Also - be sure to let them know you're takng the car into Canada - and, I hope bringing it back - or paying a large drop-off fee.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in NJ and checked a few places there. At Newark airport prices are fairly high (Budget - weekly about $375), but in Paramus (for example)you can get a car for $100 less. Maybe one of you (adults) could take a bus to somewhere in Jersey that is still close to NYC, pick-up a rental and drive back to the city to pick up the family. Or is this a bit too complicated?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great suggestions, thanks!

I was in a bit of sticker shock when I first checked into the prices. I did try Travelocity and Orbitz but didn't find any improvement on price. I know that dropping off the car in Canada is a big part of the problem but we would have to cut quite a bit of the trip if we had to double back (and flight tickets were bought long ago.) Earlier I looked into train travel or flights but, with four of us, the car seems the way to go and we have quite a few stops planned out.

I knew this was the place to turn for advice!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KTtravel, while Stamford and particularly White Plains are good ideas, I am not sure you will find the kinds of prices people have written about if you plan to drop the car north of the border.

When we rented in Montana, it was prohibitive to drop the car in Calgary as we had originally planned.

Where are you flying from on your return journey? Could you pop back across the border and leave the car somewhere like Plattsburgh or Burlington, Vermont? Burlington at least has easy access to Montreal.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I did check out renting from North White Plains and other places along the railroad line but in the end decided to rent from near our hotel for the convenience. Picking up the car from one of these other locations would have saved us money and I do appreciate the help. Convenience won out in the end as one of our family members isn't too well.

What your responses did suggest to me, however, was that it might be cheaper to rent from airport pick-up to airport drop-off locations. What we now plan to do is drop our car rented from NYC off at the Burlington, VT airport (on our route), pick up a car from another agency and drop it off in Quebec. This new plan will save us almost $500!

Again, thanks!