car rental? Maui & Oahu?

Search

car rental? Maui & Oahu?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rental? Maui & Oahu?

Can anyone suggest a good place to rent cars on both of these islands? Generally, how much does it cost for a week?

Plus, whats the best car to rent? I heard Jeeps are the way to go because there's certain roads you can only go on with Jeeps... any truth to that???
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM

NO, a sedan will take you anywhere, unless you are visiting friends in remote places with no roads. I got a 4-door from National on Maui this summer for ~$180 for 10 days. Do some checking on various web sites...you can certainly pay a lot more, but shouldn't have to.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM

You definatly don't need a jeep, unless you want one. We were in Hawaii with our grown children last May, over my husband's birthday. They all got together and upgraded our car to a Mustang convertable for his birthday.
It was great. I would rent a convertible again.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Normally the most convenient place is to rent one at the airport, as soon as you fly in. Reserve one ahead of time, of course. It saves time to have one person go get the car while the other waits for the luggage, then the one with the car can drive and pick up the one with the luggage!
This is easy at Maui, a bit trickier at Honolulu 'cause it's a big airport.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want a car only for a couple days there are local car lots all over Waikiki advertising specials.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I book my car as soon as I have my dates and then I continue to scan for a better rate. The sooner I book, the better rate I get. I have never been able to find a better rate as we get closer to the date. Right now I have Budget rental reservations. Depending upon when you are going, you may do better with a different company. I would suggest going to www.rentalcodes.com and explore the discounts, coupons, etc. They are all consolidated on that web site. Good luck.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Be sure and remember to return the rental car before attempting to drive to the next island. In Hawaii, they are very strict about taking rental cars from one island to another. As I recall, it has something to do with water damage while driving through the Pacific Ocean...