Car rental in USA

Jul 18th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 132
Car rental in USA

I'm travelling from Australia and am looking at renting a car for a few days in New Mexico. I am booking through Hertz here in Oz and will have Loss damager waiver and loss insurance supplement (Lis being for $1 million). Is this all I need to cover myself completely from any liability and/or damage to the vehicle(and theft).
tracker is offline  
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 22,240
Since I have no idea how car rentals work in Australia, I will try to give an explanation of how these charges work here.

This supplemental insurance is a way that car rental companies make a great deal of their money. It does what it says - it is insurance against damage to their car, liability to others, etc. Many people in US find they are covered on their own auto insurance policies or by a coverage on their credit cards (the one used to rent the car) and so this insurance may be duplication for them - no idea if it would work with Australian insurance. Car rental companies try very hard to make you buy this and you would have to sign all sorts of scarey documents if you refuse to buy it. If you do not buy it and something happens to the car, you must pay all damages. Plus - car rental companies are now adding a clause saying if their car is damaged and is out of service, you must also pay them for loss of use.

So, I think one must always have insurance - but check to see if you are covered in some other way before you buy it. (and also factor in any deductible your policy may carry). If it only for a few days, it might be worth it to just buy it and not worry about it.
gail is offline  
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,348
Here is a link with some more in depth info. about rental car insurance:
Good Luck!

JohnD is offline  
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,542

That is exactly what you need.

LDW covers theft/damage to the car, while LIS LIABILITY (not loss) Insurance Supplement) is third party liability insurance (i.e. if you smash into someone else's property or cause injury).

Do make sure it's a full LDW with no deductible though.

Any additional coverage is useless, don't let someone at the counter sell you extra insurance, i.e. PAI or PEC.

Here's a helpful link:

Hope this helps,
Andre is offline  
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 132
tracker is offline  
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,421
Investigate included coverage when renting with your personal car insurance at home and with all your credit card providers. Don't believe what anyone on the phone describes to you, though. Read the printed matter.
djkbooks is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jul 9th, 2015 02:51 AM
United States
Jul 31st, 2010 02:17 AM
United States
Jan 20th, 2010 03:31 PM
Mar 28th, 2006 06:12 AM
Jen O
United States
Oct 27th, 2000 06:52 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:35 PM.