Car rental in USA

Jul 18th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Car rental in USA

I'm travelling from Australia and am looking at renting a car for a few days in New Mexico. I am booking through Hertz here in Oz and will have Loss damager waiver and loss insurance supplement (Lis being for $1 million). Is this all I need to cover myself completely from any liability and/or damage to the vehicle(and theft).
Thanks
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:25 AM

Since I have no idea how car rentals work in Australia, I will try to give an explanation of how these charges work here.

This supplemental insurance is a way that car rental companies make a great deal of their money. It does what it says - it is insurance against damage to their car, liability to others, etc. Many people in US find they are covered on their own auto insurance policies or by a coverage on their credit cards (the one used to rent the car) and so this insurance may be duplication for them - no idea if it would work with Australian insurance. Car rental companies try very hard to make you buy this and you would have to sign all sorts of scarey documents if you refuse to buy it. If you do not buy it and something happens to the car, you must pay all damages. Plus - car rental companies are now adding a clause saying if their car is damaged and is out of service, you must also pay them for loss of use.

So, I think one must always have insurance - but check to see if you are covered in some other way before you buy it. (and also factor in any deductible your policy may carry). If it only for a few days, it might be worth it to just buy it and not worry about it.
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Here is a link with some more in depth info. about rental car insurance: http://www.freetraveltips.com/Cars/car07.htm#33
Good Luck!

Jul 18th, 2003, 03:53 AM

tracker,

That is exactly what you need.

LDW covers theft/damage to the car, while LIS LIABILITY (not loss) Insurance Supplement) is third party liability insurance (i.e. if you smash into someone else's property or cause injury).

Do make sure it's a full LDW with no deductible though.

Any additional coverage is useless, don't let someone at the counter sell you extra insurance, i.e. PAI or PEC.

Here's a helpful link:
http://www.hertz.com/servlet/ByrServ...OAD_FRAMESET=1

Hope this helps,
Andre
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Investigate included coverage when renting with your personal car insurance at home and with all your credit card providers. Don't believe what anyone on the phone describes to you, though. Read the printed matter.