Car Rental Albuquerque - Issues?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know there have been a number of issues getting a rental car. I have reserved a car at Hertz this Friday at the Albuquerque airport so we can drive to Santa Fe. Worried about actually getting a car, even with the reservation.

Any experiences?

I know, this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode on making the reservations . . . .

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Surfergirl. Please report back. We are heading there this summer.

Thank you,
Michelle Y
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

MichelleY - sure, as to the car rental or the trip? I thought you drive everywhere!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Both!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not there but you probably won't get the class you booked. Even before the pandemic I was always getting a larger vehicle.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

MichelleY - will do!

Mlgb - Oh rats! We despise large cars, always go for the compact or sub-compact. We'll get what we get, as long as we get.
Old May 8th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Quick rundown on our trip which, by the way, was a fabulous mini-break!

SW Air LAX - PHX - ALB. Return, ALB - LAS - LAX.
Very uncrowded at LAX and everyone acting responsibly (wearing masks, not using as chin diapers). On each leg, the plane was full, including middle seats. The only airport that disappointed me was Las Vegas, because they are remodeling so practically everything was closed, so trying to grab an adult beverage at the 1 bar near our gate was a painful experience.

Car rental: Even in the afternoon on a Friday in Albuquerque, where we rented at Hertz, it was practically empty, and we had zero problem getting the compact car (a Nissan Versa) that we ordered. Of course had to go through all the BS with the why don't you upgrade, pre-pay for a full tank, get collision waiver, yada yada yada. The Nissan was practically brand new, only 1k on it, and I'd already checked out where to get the tank filled before returning it. Since we live in LA, where regular is currently $3.99/gallon, NM gas was cheap at about $2.89/gallon.

Hotel: La Fonda on the Plaza, one bedroom suite with fireplace on the 5th floor, down the hall from the rooftop Tower Bar which, it turns out, opened the afternoon we arrived for the first time in eons. Because no one (even at the front desk!) knew that it had opened, we were able to snag a table and meet friends there, for a terrific sunset while sipping cocktails and eating yummy appetizers. The hotel was stunning and perfectly situated, and we had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool.

What we saw:
1. Railway farmer's market Saturday morning. Great fun, and easy to pick up all the chili spices I wanted in one place.
2. Museum Hill. A colleague of mine who has a home in Santa Fe recommended the Wheelwright Museum, which turned out to be a highlight. It is devoted to Native American arts. The current art exhibitions are artist Shonto Begay: Eyes of the World, whose paintings just blew us away! Google his work. And Indigenous Women: Border Matters. Both are a must see. We followed that with lunch at the Museum Hill Cafe -- just reopened. Took forever to get our food, but it was fabulous. Then the Museum of International Folk Art, which was like walking through a doll museum.
3. Georgia O'Keefe museum. Must get tickets well in advance, which we did. Small, but brilliant.
4. Meow Wolf. Can't even start to describe this place, but right up my psychedelic alley, with hidden doors (like opening the refrigerator and walking in). Hugely popular for all ages.
5. Santuario de Chimayo. Beautiful surroundings. I'd say the Lourdes of the West, but without people walking on their knees. My MIL (may she rest in peace) would have loved this place, especially with all the bloody Jesus statues.

Where we ate:
1. La Plazuela at La Fonda. Lovely surroundings in the atrium there, great food, reasonably priced, and DH had his first (but not last) sopapilla . . . a fried bread, to die for.
2. Coyote Cafe. Reservations a must, and probably one of the best meals we've ever had. We're not gourmets, by any means, but had a meal that would make any foodie very, very happy. Must try the dirty martini, which comes foaming.
3. Coyote Cantina. No reservations, and a fun lively rooftop eatery one floor above the cafe. Completely different vibe, and a go-to place for the younger set, which we are, at least in spirit!
4. The Shed. While they don't take reservations, you call at 11 a.m. the day you want to go and get put on the "wait list". I did, asked for 7 p.m., and got 7 p.m. . . . indoors because it gets super cold at night. Delicious New Mexican fare. When they say their green chili is "spicy" and their red chili is "hotter", they mean it. We are very much into spicy food. We started with a cup of the green chili "stew", a soup that absolutely cleaned us out later that night and the next day! Advice: don't get this if you're planning on getting on a plane within 8 hours of your meal! The main courses we had were amazing, and the place really lives up to the kudos it gets.

Old May 9th, 2021, 07:11 AM

Thanks for reporting back!
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Yes, sounds like it went off without a hitch!
Old May 9th, 2021, 10:18 AM

Good to hear all went well. Thanks for reporting back.
Old May 9th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Bookmark