car free island? which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to take a vacation at a laid back island, throw back to another time - especially interested in seclusion and scenic beauty. Has anyone possibly been to all (or any) of the following..... oh and yes we have three kids 16, 12 and 10 so it can't be totally dull. How about Fripp Island, North Captiva or Mackinaw ??? other suggestions. i will take any and all. thanks fellow travelers.....
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:14 PM
GoTravel

Fripp Island isn't car free however it is wonderful! Beautiful beaches but not a lot to do except spend time with your family on the beach.

Could you be thinking of Bald Head Island off the NC Coast? Bald Head is car free. Fripp is on South Carolina.

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Florida's Captiva is not car-free either -- care-free maybe. And once you get there it's a short walk from one side of the island to the other, although it's a haul from one end to the other.

I believe it's St. George Island in north Florida, near Carrabelle that is car-free (which means good luck getting there). Also, Little Gasparilla Island on the west Gulf coast. It has a ferry that heads over twice daily or so.

Seaside up in the panhandle of Florida is a planned community that tries to keep cars off the streets (although you're allowed to drive to your accomodations then park your car). It has a quaint retro-beach community, with a killer grocery store full of every gourmet item imaginable.

And Palm Island too -- I think it's a boat-drive from Key West.

The Homosassa River on the west coast is dotted with little river houses, each on its own separate island in the river. Quite a place. The manatees should be heading into Homosassa Spring soon as the weather is dipping -- or rather it should be. Glory, it's about 85 out there today. Maybe you'll have to try the zoo to see a manatee instead.

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Mackinac Island and northern Michigan are great, but the season is short. May - mid October. It sounds like you would rather be there when the crowds aren't there, so I would avoid July & August.

I am kind of guessing at what would appeal to your family, but suspect you would like the Lighthouse Tours with Shepler's Ferries. Also a day trip up to Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish Point.

Keith
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:55 PM

PS: Some of my photos of Mackinac Island are at http://mightymac.org/island.htm

Keith